Subject: [dhcwg] DHCP hackathon in Berlin?

From: Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 18:44:43 +0200

Hey DHCP hackers!

The IETF meeting in Berlin is not that far off. We'll have an
opportunity to meet and hack some DHCP code, if we desire so. As usual,
the question is whether there are enough people interested in hacking
DHCP? Hackathons traditionally happen during the weekend before IETF, so
it means July 16-17 this time.

Please respond if you're interested in participating. Feel free to
propose the topics.

Looking at the current topics in DHC, it seems we have 2 areas that
could definitely benefit from a hackathon. The first one is secure
DHCPv6. We did some successful experiments in Prague (Kame client was
interoperating with Kea server), but that was based on an old version of
draft-ietf-dhc-sedhcpv6-12, which has changed significantly since then.

Another prospective topic for a hackathon is YANG module. One of the
concerns raised against draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-yang-01 (or rather general
comment against any attempts of configuration standardization) was that
it may be difficult to find a common denominator between existing DHCP
implementation's configurations. Having a working code
would definitely be a strong argument in favour of moving this draft
forward.

Other topics are certainly welcome as well. Having two or more people
working in the same feature are better than focusing on independent areas.

If you're interested in participating, but don't have a code base you'd
want to work on, feel free to contact me and I'll give you some pointers
to easily accessible open source implementations that are hackers friendly.

Tomek