Subject: [dhcwg] Intro to draft-patterson-intarea-ipoe-health-00

From: Richard Patterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 21:02:40 +0100

Hi All,

The above new draft has been posted to address an operational problem
that exists with current IPoE (non-PPPoE) fixed line broadband
services.
It can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-patterson-intarea-ipoe-health/

Hopefully the draft covers the problem statement sufficiently, but in
summary, PPPoE makes use of LCP echo/replies to detect WAN failures,
DHCPv4/6 currently has no such mechanism.
After backhaul migrations or BNG maintenance/failure, an IPoE client
can be left with a stale DHCP lease for up to the Valid Lifetime.

This draft proposes the use of regular ARP and ND for link monitoring,
to proactively expire DHCP leases early, and to trigger renewals or
getting a new lease from scratch.

The intarea WG was chosen as it doesn't neatly fit within the charters
of either v6ops or dhc, and because it proposes new DHCPv4 and DHCPv6
Options. Although we expect discussions in both of these WGs as well.

Thanks for comments already received from Ian, and Bernie, that helped
shape this -00.

-Richard