Subject: [dhcwg] RFC 8539 on Softwire Provisioning Using DHCPv4 over DHCPv6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 16:07:13 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8539

        Title:      Softwire Provisioning Using DHCPv4 over DHCPv6 
        Author:     I. Farrer, 
                    Q. Sun,
                    Y. Cui,
                    L. Sun
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 39504
        Updates:    RFC 7598

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dhc-dhcp4o6-saddr-opt-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8539

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8539

DHCPv4 over DHCPv6 (RFC 7341) is a mechanism for dynamically
configuring IPv4 for use as an over-the-top service in an IPv6-only
network.  Softwires are an example of such a service.  For DHCPv4
over DHCPv6 (DHCP 4o6) to function with some IPv4-over-IPv6 softwire
mechanisms and deployment scenarios (e.g., RFC 7596 or RFC 7597), the
operator needs to know the IPv6 address that the client will use as
the source of an IPv4-in-IPv6 softwire tunnel.  This address, in
conjunction with the client's IPv4 address, and (in some deployments)
the Port Set ID are used to create a binding table entry in the
operator's softwire tunnel concentrator.  This memo defines a DHCPv6
option to convey IPv6 parameters for establishing the softwire tunnel
and a DHCPv4 option (to be used only with DHCP 4o6) to communicate
the source tunnel IPv6 address between the DHCP 4o6 client and
server.  It is designed to work in conjunction with the IPv4 address
allocation process.

"DHCPv6 Options for Configuration of Softwire Address and Port-Mapped                 
Clients" (RFC 7598) describes a deterministic DHCPv6-based mechanism
for provisioning softwires.  This document updates RFC 7598, allowing
OPTION_S46_BR (90) to be enumerated in the DHCPv6 client's Option
Request Option (ORO) request and to appear directly within subsequent
messages sent by the DHCPv6 server.

This document is a product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC