Subject: [dhcwg] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dhc-slap-quadrant-08.txt> (SLAP quadrant selection options for DHCPv6) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 04:54:19 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Dynamic Host Configuration WG (dhc)
to consider the following document: - 'SLAP quadrant selection options for
DHCPv6'
  <draft-ietf-dhc-slap-quadrant-08.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-05-27. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The IEEE originally structured the 48-bit MAC address space in such a
   way that half of it was reserved for local use.  Recently, the IEEE
   has been working on a new specification (IEEE 802c) which defines a
   new optional "Structured Local Address Plan" (SLAP) that specifies
   different assignment approaches in four specified regions of the
   local MAC address space.

   The IEEE is working on mechanisms to allocate addresses in the one of
   these quadrants (IEEE 802.1CQ).  There is work also in the IETF on
   specifying a new mechanism that extends DHCPv6 operation to handle
   the local MAC address assignments.  We complement this work by
   defining a mechanism to allow choosing the SLAP quadrant to use in
   the allocation of the MAC address to the requesting device/client.

   This document proposes extensions to DHCPv6 protocols to enable a
   DHCPv6 client or a DHCPv6 relay to indicate a preferred SLAP quadrant
   to the server, so that the server allocates the MAC addresses to the
   given client out of the quadrant requested by relay or client.  A new
   DHCPv6 option (OPTION_SLAP_QUAD, or QUAD) is defined for this
   purpose.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-slap-quadrant/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/4110/