Subject: [dhcwg] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dhc-mac-assign-06.txt> (Link-Layer Addresses Assignment Mechanism for DHCPv6) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 08:09:40 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Dynamic Host Configuration WG (dhc)
to consider the following document: - 'Link-Layer Addresses Assignment
Mechanism for DHCPv6'
  <draft-ietf-dhc-mac-assign-06.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-05-19. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   In certain environments, e.g. large scale virtualization deployments,
   new devices are created in an automated manner.  Such devices
   typically have their link-layer (MAC) addresses randomized.  With
   sufficient scale, the likelihood of collision is not acceptable.
   Therefore an allocation mechanism is required.  This draft proposes
   an extension to DHCPv6 that allows a scalable approach to link-layer
   address assignments.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-mac-assign/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-mac-assign/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.