Subject: [dhcwg] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-dhc-mac-assign-08: (with COMMENT)

From: Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2020 23:31:41 -0700

Benjamin Kaduk has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dhc-mac-assign-08: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-mac-assign/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the updates addressing my discuss and comment points; I
just have a couple remaining suggestions.

Section 4.2

   Note that a client that operates as above that does not have a
   globally unique link-layer address on any of its interfaces MUST NOT
   use a link-layer based DUID (DHCP Unique Identifier).  For more

Is this MUST NOT scoped to the interface(s) in question?

Section 10.1

   The Identity Association for Link-Layer Addresses option (IA_LL
   option) is used to carry an IA_LL option, the parameters associated
   with the IA_LL, and the address blocks associated with the IA_LL.

If I'm reading RFC 8415 correctly, the typical construction would be
more like "Identity Associateion for Link-Layer Addresses (IA_LL)
option is used to carry an IA_LL, [...]".

---

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2020 15:35:22 +0000

Hi:

See below (BV>). Thanks for re-reviewing.

- Bernie

> On Aug 6, 2020, at 2:31 AM, Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

BV> For DHCPv6, there is one DUID for the client regardless of how many interfaces it has. If it has one with a unique link-layer address, it can generate DUID from that.

> option is used to carry an IA_LL, [...]".

BV> Can revisit and revise to match RFC8415. That was the intention.