Subject: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 Reply Message

From: Timothy Carlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 13:59:59 -0400

Hi dhcwg,

A question has come up regarding how to handle the situation where a DHCPv6
Client receives a Reply to a Renew Message.

For a Renew transaction, how should a client process a Reply message that
contains a valid IA_NA, but does not contain any IA Address option?  The
Reply message is otherwise valid and complete.

RFC 3315 says this:

   If the Reply was received in response to a Solicit (with a Rapid
>    Commit option), Request, Renew or Rebind message, the client updates
>    the information it has recorded about IAs from the IA options
>    contained in the Reply message:
> ...
>    -  Leave unchanged any information about addresses the client has
>       recorded in the IA but that were not included in the IA from the
>       server.

RFC 8415 updated the word addresses, and instead uses "leases":

   -  Leave unchanged any information about leases the client has
>       recorded in the IA but that were not included in the IA from the
>       server.

Should the client continue the same Renew transaction (same transaction id)
and retransmit as the IA Address Option was not included, or process the
Reply, update T1/T2 and start a new Renew transaction (new transaction id)
at T1?

Thanks,
Tim Carlin
UNH-IOL

---

From: Timothy Winters <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 14:50:17 -0400

Hi Tim,

My reading is the DHCPv6 client must continue to transmit Renew messages
until receiving an Reply message containing the IA_Addr option that needs
to be renewed as it's not supposed to be updated on the client.

Retransmitting with the same transaction id seems to be correct behavior.

~Tim

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 2:00 PM Timothy Carlin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi dhcwg,
>
> A question has come up regarding how to handle the situation where a
> DHCPv6 Client receives a Reply to a Renew Message.
>
> Should the client continue the same Renew transaction (same transaction
> id) and retransmit as the IA Address Option was not included, or process
> the Reply, update T1/T2 and start a new Renew transaction (new transaction
> id) at T1?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim Carlin
> UNH-IOL
>
> _______________________________________________
> dhcwg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
>

---

From: Timothy Carlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 09:34:58 -0400

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your response.  I appreciate the clarification.

Best Regards,
Tim

---

From: "Ms. Li HUANG" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 11:03:11 +0800

11:00.hk S8 oct. 15 2020

Once the ID block kept growing mac of the endpoints clients in there in
order to randomly assign ipv6 to transaction a pck, it would be required to
be renewed...?

Sincerely
Li HUANG

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020, 21:35 Timothy Carlin <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> For a Renew transaction, how should a client process a Reply message
>>> that contains a valid IA_NA, but does not contain any IA Address option?
>>> The Reply message is otherwise valid and complete.
>>>
>>> RFC 3315 says this:
>>>