Subject: Re: [dhcwg] >> YANG Data Model for DHCPv6 Configuration-16

From: t petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:27:33 +0000

Ian

I do not understand this I-D; I have tracked it for a number of years
and my understanding of it is diminishing.

Currently, it is seven YANG modules: why?

Other WG have models with multiple roles and many options and have a
single YANG module, using the features of YANG to tailor the module to
different configurations.

Here you have modelled the options as YANG grouping. The intent of a
grouping is to provide a block of statements that can be reused so
avoiding duplication with the attendant problems.  Here you have the
same grouping in triplicate in three different YANG modules which seems
to me to be the antithesis of a grouping.

Likewise I find the specification of server v client v relay unusual.

I wonder if it is worth consulting a YANG doctor, NOT to show them the
YANG and invite comments, rather outline in an abstract way what it is
you want to model and see what they suggest; that might well be a single
YANG module.

I do have quite a number of detailed comments but do not think them
worth making until the I-D seems to me more stable.

Tom Petch

On 07/01/2021 16:10, [email-masked] wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Many thanks for the comments. I’ve just uploaded -16 which addresses them.
>
> One other change is that the wrong file was being included for the relay module. This is also resolved in this version.
>
> Cheers,
> Ian
>
>> On 6. Jan 2021, at 13:50, tom petch <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> Ian