Subject: [dhcwg] Rebind failure behavior

From: "Guja, ArturX" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:03:29 +0200

Hello,

I have encountered one totally counter-intuitive thing in the
draft 19.

The text reads as follows:
" The server will respond to the Rebind message with a Reply message.
   If no Reply message is received within REP_MSG_TIMEOUT milliseconds,
   the client retransmits the Rebind with the same transaction-ID, and
   doubles the REP_MSG_TIMEOUT value, and waits again.  The client
   continues this process until a Reply is received "

So, basically, if the first server is down, and no other server
is willing to respond to a REBIND (they don't have to, if they do
not "feel" authoritative about this particular client's leases)
the client goes HANG and stays there.

I believe this will have to be changed to some timeout or
something.

Artur Guja

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 23:56:48 -0400 (EDT)

this is a bug...thanks

/jim