Subject: [dhcwg] client unicast/client unicast option

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 10:08:33 -0400

Here's the text that has been changed to allow for client unicast, controlled by the client unicast option.

Please review and comment...

- Ralph

=====

15.3.1. Creation and transmission of Request messages

   If the client has a source address that can be used by the server
   as a return address and the client has received a Client Unicast
   option (section 19.12) from the server, the client SHOULD unicast
   the Request message to the server.  Otherwise, the client sends
   the Request message to the All_DHCP_Agents multicast address.  The
   client sends the Request message through the interface for which
   the client is interested in obtaining configuration information,
   with the destination port set to 547.  The source port selection
   can be arbitrary, although it SHOULD be possible using a client
   configuration facility to set a specific source port value.

15.3.3. Creation and transmission of Renew messages

   If the client has a source address that can be used by the server as
   a return address and the client has received a Client Unicast option
   (section 19.12) from the server, the client SHOULD unicast the Renew
   message to the server.  Otherwise, the client sends the Renew message
   to the All_DHCP_Agents multicast address.  The client sends the Renew
   message through the interface for which the client is interested in
   obtaining configuration information, with the destination port set
   to 547.  The source port selection can be arbitrary, although it
   SHOULD be possible using a client configuration facility to set a
   specific source port value.

15.3.6. Creation and transmission of Release messages

   If the client has a source address that can be used by the server
   as a return address and the client has received a Client Unicast
   option (section 19.12) from the server, the client SHOULD unicast
   the Release message to the server.  Otherwise, the client sends
   the Release message to the All_DHCP_Agents multicast address.  The
   client sends the Release message through the interface for which
   the client is interested in obtaining configuration information,
   with the destination port set to 547.  The source port selection
   can be arbitrary, although it SHOULD be possible using a client
   configuration facility to set a specific source port value.

15.3.8. Creation and transmission of Decline messages

   If the client has a source address that can be used by the server
   as a return address and the client has received a Client Unicast
   option (section 19.12) from the server, the client SHOULD unicast
   the Decline message to the server.  Otherwise, the client sends
   the Decline message to the All_DHCP_Agents multicast address.  The
   client sends the Decline message through the interface for which
   the client is interested in obtaining configuration information,
   with the destination port set to 547.  The source port selection
   can be arbitrary, although it SHOULD be possible using a client
   configuration facility to set a specific source port value.

19.12. Server unicast option

   This option is used by a server to send to a client to inform
   the client it can send a Request, Renew, Release, and Decline by
   unicasting directly to the server instead of the All_DHCPv6_Agents
   Multicast address as an optimization, when the client as an address
   of sufficient scope to reach the server.

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |        OPTION_UNICAST         |        option-length          |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

      option-code     OPTION_UNICAST (9)

      option-length   0

   This option only applies to the server address that sends this to the
   client.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg