Subject: RE: [dhcwg] How to encode DNS labels in DHCP options

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 10:23:49 -0500

Well, how about many of the Microsoft clients? That is likely 10's or 100's of millions.

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Narten [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 11:19 AM
To: Bernie Volz (EUD)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] How to encode DNS labels in DHCP options 

Bernie,

> The problem is that the FQDN option is already in such wide
> deployment with the ASCII encoding that it would be impossible to
> ask that everyone change to using the new.

Which clients implement this? I.e, if there are lots of clients
sending this out to servers today, than the spec should document this
so servers can respond appropriately (or at the very least, not
choke). But it would be good to know the number of clients we are
talking about.

Thomas