Subject: [dhcwg] dhcp question

From: "Bimal Shah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:03:32 -0500

hi:

well i had one question. if i install DHCP server in my existing network which is already assinged with diff. IP addresses then when i add more device into network then what happens. 

will the DHCP server assing the IP other then which are already in the network. Will all the previous network work as usual.

Thanks
bimal

---

From: Jitesh N Verma <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 12:07:23 +0530 (IST)

Yes. A properly implemented DHCP server assigns appropriate IP addresses
to the DHCP client machines without affeting existing machines with static
IP addresses. DHCP client also must be intelligent enough to detect dulpicate
address offered by the server.

~Jitesh
 
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

    ~                                                             ~
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
^ Jitesh N. Verma                     Tel. 91-80-225 1554 Ext. 1424   ^
^ HEWLETT PACKARD                     Fax. 91-80-220 0196             ^
^ INDIA SOFTWARE OPERATIONS         Email. [email-masked]        ^
^ 29, CUNNINGHAM ROAD               Pager. 9624-263608                ^
^ BANGALORE 560 052        __      Telnet. 847-1424                   ^
^                         / /                                         ^
^                        / /___ _____                                 ^
^                       / __  // __  /                                ^
^                      / / / // /_/ /                                 ^
^                     /_/ /_// ____/                                  ^
^                           / /                                       ^
^                          /_/                                        ^
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg