Subject: RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-22 DUID/VUID questions/comments

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 18:06:37 -0600

Hi:

If there is good evidence that a 128-bit identifier makes much more sense than using the 64-bit identifier currently defined for type 2 (section 11.3), perhaps we should just use the 128-bits (a vendor that only has 64-bit identifier, could simply use 0's in the rest of the bits).

Do you or does anyone else have some good information about the what new systems are using for UUIDs?

- Bernie Volz

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Johnston [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2002 3:00 PM
To: dhcwg
Subject: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-22 DUID/VUID questions/comments

Gentles,

For the DUID contents definition (Section 11): 

Would you be adverse to expanding the size of the VUID to 128 bits or 
creating an additional type (4) for a 128 bit UUID? 

Reasoning: 

According to the dhcpv6-22 draft, "... the DUID used by a client SHOULD NOT 
change over time...".  From what I have seen, most new laptops, desktops & 
workstations (especially those that come with network installed) already 
contain, or have space reserved for, a 128 bit UUID that is intended to be 
used to manage/track the system identity.  Why have a vendor or IT assign 
yet another ID number to the system. 

Using the link-layer address is also not a unique solution.  Consider the 
two cases of (1) laptops connecting to docking stations that contain network 
adapters and (2) replacing defective or upgrading to new network adapters. 

%%michael 

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Michael Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 02:42:18 GMT

Bernie,

Intel-ish systems are what I use the most, so my information is skewed in 
that direction. 

The UUIDs being used today are derived from the algorithm in this document:
http://www.opengroup.org/dce/info/draft-leach-uuids-guids-01.txt 

Mechanisms for retrieving (and in many cases storing) the platform UUID from 
(to) non-volatile storage are included in (or with) most x86PC compatible 
laptop and desktop systems and all Intel Itanium workstations and servers. 

In order to get Microsoft WHQL or Intel WfM certification all systems with 
network boot support must contain or generate a valid platform UUID. 

EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) also requires a platform UUID. 

%%michael

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 12:51:33 -0500 (EST)

Infiniband spec uses 128 bit global UIDs too.  I think it makes sense to
have a 128bit option but keep the 64bit too.   If we can just add it as
another option which I think we can.  But we don't want to hold up the
spec either.

/jim