Subject: [dhcwg] RFC 3256 on The DOCSIS Device Class DHCP

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:59:33 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3256

        Title:	    The DOCSIS (Data-Over-Cable Service Interface
                    Specifications) Device Class DHCP (Dynamic Host
                    Configuration Protocol) Relay Agent Information
                    Sub-option 
        Author(s):  D. Jones, R. Woundy
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       April 2002
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      5
        Characters: 8551
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dhc-agentoptions-device-class-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3256.txt

This document proposes a new sub-option to the DHCP (Dynamic Host
Configuration Protocol) Relay Agent Information Option.  This new
sub-option is for use with DOCSIS (Data-Over-Cable Service Interface
Specifications) cable modems and describes a "device class" to which
the cable modem belongs.  The cable modem signals its device class
information to the Relay Agent using DOCSIS signaling, and the Relay
Agent forwards the device class information to the DHCP Server which
can then make a policy decision based on it.

This document is a product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for the
Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the "Internet
Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.

---

From: Bud Millwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:50:13 +0200

We have at least one customer making policy decisions on the server based on 
the Class Identifier (option 60) value. Apparently, it's always "docsis1.0" 
for a DOCSIS cable-modem. (Not sure about docsis 1.1).

But even though this method appears to work fine in practice, I welcome this 
new draft because of the security aspect, as well as the possibility for 
future expansion using the reserved bits.

I think it's important to let a trusted device give us as much information as 
possible about the clients we're servicing. So important, in fact, that I 
have wondered about the possibility of *requiring* *any* kind of relay agent 
(DOCSIS or not) to insert option 82, with information about the originating 
machine (hwtype-mac, for example). The premise being that even in 
corporations, most routers are trusted equipment, usually locked away in a 
basement somewhere.

Bud Millwood
Weird Solutions, Inc.
http://www.weird-solutions.com
tel: +46 70 566 7803
fax: +46 8 758 3687
mailto:[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg