Subject: [dhcwg] Address autoconfiguration

From: John Wells <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 11:25:49 -0400

Hi everyone,

Is there a standardized way to trigger an IPv4 DHCP update when a node
changes networks similar to Router Advertisements in IPv6?  Some operating
systems, like Windows, can trigger DHCP updates when they detect a
disconnection then reconnection of an interface, but not all can.  I 
thought of RAs in IPv6 or listening to RIP/OSPF packets to trigger 
updates, but is there any generally agreed method?

Thanks,
John

-- 
John Wells, Virginia Tech Networking Lab
(tel) +1 540 231-8347 (web) http://www.ee.vt.edu/~wells
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: John Wells <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 18:09:50 -0400

Hi Alex,

That was precisely the idea I had.  It's a good one because it gives
optimal routing and sidesteps communicating the home address and care-of
address to mobile nodes.  Can any DHCP servers do this now?

Thanks,
John

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 06:18:35PM +0200, Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
> John Wells <[email-masked]> writes:
> > I thought of RAs in IPv6 or listening to RIP/OSPF packets to trigger
> I was thinking of RA triggers DHCP Confirm triggers RIP update, as a
> way to do local mobility.
> 
> I have some text and slides hidden somewhere.
> 
> Alex

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu<[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Aug 2002 11:11:19 +0200

Hi John,

John Wells <[email-masked]> writes:
> address to mobile nodes.

We can discuss about this, but this is only half DHC.  It gives
optimal routing but only within that routing domain.  No need of HoA
and CoA but only if staying in that domain.

> Can any DHCP servers do this now?

I don't know of any DHCP implementation that interacts with routing
daemons.  But enhanching a DHCPv6 implementation to send UDP messages
to routing daemons, a proof-of-concept like, must not be very
difficult.

RIP needs some modifications to act well for this.  Again, off-topic,
but links torn down information propagate badly.

Alex

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu<[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Aug 2002 18:18:35 +0200

Alex