Subject: [dhcwg] more prefix-delegation-01 questions

From: "Aaron M. Smith"<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:29:32 -0600

In draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-prefix-delegation-01,
the second paragraph of section 5 says

   An IA_PD is different from an IA, in that it does not need to be
   associated with exactly one interface.  One IA_PD can be associated
   with the requesting router, with a set of interfaces or with exactly
   one interface.  A requesting router must create at least one distinct
   IA_PD.  It may associate a distinct IA_PD with each of its downstream
   network interfaces and use that IA_PD to obtain a prefix for that
   interface from the delegating router.

Then the 3rd to last paragraph in section 11.1 begins

   Upon the receipt of a valid Reply message, the requesting router
   assigns a subnet from each of the delegated prefixes to each of the
   links to which it is attached, ...

I think the text in 11.1 is a carryover from before the IA_PD
construct was introduced.  Should it be updated to reflect the
IA_PD interface groupings?  Perhaps something along the lines of

   Upon the receipt of a valid Reply message, for each IA_PD the
   requesting router assigns a subnet from each of the delegated
   prefixes to each of the links to which the associated interfaces
   are attached, ...

Also, section 5 has "...obtain a prefix for that interface...",
while section 11.1 has "...assigns a subnet from...the...prefixes to...
the links...".  Does it ever make sense for the requesting router to
configure an address on its interface(s) using a delegated prefix?
If so, and given that RFC 2462 says routers are not allowed to
auto-configure addresses from prefixes received in advertisements
(even ones they send), then the address configuration would have to be
done explicitly.  Does the PD draft need to explain this, or is it
considered obvious, or should routers not do this?

Thanks,
-Aaron
-- 
Aaron M. Smith
Networks and Infrastructure Research
Motorola Labs
[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg