Subject: [dhcwg] DHCP Authentication Implementation

From: Cora Hussey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 13:25:45 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

We are considering implementing the delayed authentication for DHCP as
described in RFC 3118, and were wondering if you could answer some
questions.  It would be helpful for us and much appreciated.

1. Do you know of any existing implementations?  From reading your mail
archives, it seems that none exist, but we wanted to confirm that or know
what was out there before beginning.

2. Would this help your working group?  I believe we would gladly exchange
our work on the implementation for advice and clarification on your
existing work.

3. Do you know of an open-source version of DHCP that you would recommend
extending, or that you are familiar with?  We are aware of the java
version on dhcp.org, but are looking for perhaps recommendations in C?

4. One alternative direction we are considering is doing implementation
work on the Authentication via Kerberos V.  We have found a few copies of
the Internet Draft as well as mention of it in your meeting minutes, but
cannot determine how much work has been or needs to be done on it.  Would
you recommend working on this instead?

Thank you very much for your assistance, and I hope you have a great
Tuesday.

Cora

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:33:11 -0800

There are quite a few open source DHCP clients - the ISC client, 
dhcpcd, pumpd and one other that I'm drawing a blank on right now.   
For open source DHCP servers, I think ISC is the only one out there.   
I'd be happy to help you to find your way around the source code if you 
would be willing to contribute the code back to the ISC.

Ken Hornstein approached me at the last IETF and asked me if there was 
interest in the Kerberos draft he worked on.   I think he'd be very 
happy to talk to you about it, and the email address on the draft 
should still work.