Subject: [dhcwg] Proxy DHCP on port 4011

From: SENTHIL KUMAR BALASUBRAMANIAN <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 23:25:26 +0530 (IST)

I went through Intel's PXE specification and found that Proxy DHCP service
on
port 4011 is required. 

1) Is it mandatory to have the Proxy DHCP service running on UDP port 4011.
The reason i am asking this is because, we can actually implement the PXE
related options alogn with normal DHCP itself. So why is that really
required
to have that service running on UDP port 4011.

IBM AIX has separate daemon for Proxy DHCP (pxed) and Novell has
(PDHCP.NLM).
So i don't understand the reason why it has to be separate daemon.

Is it just to not disturb the normal functionalites of DHCP.?

We can always return the BOOT server types and IP addresses in the Vendor
Specific Informaiton Option (Option 43) of normal DHCP reply itself.

So Why should we have a separate daemon running for this service on port
4011.
 
Appreciate your help in advance.
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Vasu, Vallabhaneni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:57:40 -0600

> to have that service running on UDP port 4011.

It depends on which spec you read if it is 1.1 then you donot need PXE but if
it is 2.1 then you need PXE.

If you look at the protocol you will see in 2.x

Client -->    Discover -->  DHCP server

Client <--    OFFER ---- DHCP server ( which understand option 60)

Client -->    Request -->    DHCP server

Client <--    Ack         ---   DHCP server

Client -->    Request  -->    PXED (at port 4011)

In the above the dhcp server is listening on the port 67 and pxed is also on
the same machine as PXED so it listens on port 4011.
Now pxed gives the required information to the client to discover BINLD server
(boot server).

Thanks
Vasu