Subject: [dhcwg] Question about RFC 3011 (Subnet Selection Option)

From: "Kostur, Andre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:39:11 -0700

I've been rereading RFC 3011 and I think there's a little bit of a hole in
the description.  The RFC doesn't mention whether the client is required to
_always_ send opt 118 or not.  The RFC does mention "... in all packets that
the DHCP client sends that contain the subnet selection option ...", but it
doesn't seem to say anything about whether for a particular lease, the
client is _required_ to send opt 118 (that matches the 118 in the original
Discover).

Or am I missing some wording in the RFC?

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:01:22 -0500

On Friday 25 July 2003 11:39, Kostur, Andre wrote:
> _always_ send opt 118 or not.  The RFC does mention "... in all packets
> that the DHCP client sends that contain the subnet selection option ...",
> but it doesn't seem to say anything about whether for a particular lease,
> the client is _required_ to send opt 118 (that matches the 118 in the
> original Discover).
>

It's a good question.   Obviously, if the client isn't diligent about always 
sending the SSO, it's going to get back a DHCPNAK instead of a DHCPACK when 
it tries to renew.   RFC2131 suggests that clients should be consistent about 
what they send, although I don't think it requires this.   So it might be 
worth pointing out what will happen to a client that doesn't send SSO in 
renew messages.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg