Subject: [dhcwg] Accept <draft-vijay-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-rboot-00.txt> as WG work item?

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 08:39:45 -0500

We have a request to accept draft-vijay-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-rboot-00.txt as a WG
action item.  Here is the Abstract and the Introduction:

Abstract

    This document provides new DHCPv6 (Dynamic Host Configuration
    protocol version 6) options for clients, to obtain information about
    TFTP servers and bootfiles needed for booting.

1. Introduction

    Network booting is widely used mechanism for booting up of the
    clients.  The clients contact the TFTP server to download the
    bootfiles for bootup.  The advantages of using network booting are;
    softwares will be in central server and requires maintenance at only
    one location rather than maintaining individual systems separately.
    Also, switching between different operating systems becomes easy when
    network booting is being used.  In some cases, the nodes may need
    multiple bootfiles also.  The additional boot files may be used as
    supporting software for the boot image.  Different Operating System
    vendors use different way of handling this.  Single TFTP server for
    huge number of diskless clients is prone to single point of failure.
    So, Multiple TFTP servers are needed for high availability.

    DHCPv6 (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Version 6) provides a
    framework for passing configuration information for hosts on an IPv6
    network.  However, DHCPv6 does not provide a way to send information
    about TFTP server address and bootfile names.  This document defines
    two options, Remote boot option and Remote Boot parameter option to
    provide information about TFTP servers and bootfile names to the
    clients.  These options are required for the clients, which are
    booting over a network.

Please respond to [email-masked] by 1/6/2004 with comments about this I-D
and whether the dhc WG should accept this I-D as a WG work item.  If there
are no objections, the default action will be for the dhc WG to accept the
I-D as a WG work item.

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:33:06 -0600

I think this draft is useful, and should be adopted as a work item.   
One comment on the draft as it stands - I don't see any reason for 
encapsulation.   Is there some reason why we should do this as an 
encapsulation?