Subject: [dhcwg] RFC - 3315

From: "Vasu, Vallabhaneni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:31:07 -0600

When the client sends a solicit packet to multicast address in a subnet
where there are two or more routers which are configured to relay the
message to same dhcp server but the router's have different site local
address. In this scenario how should the server behave ?

1) Should it respond with Advertise for both the packets ?

if yes ?

How will client choose which one to select ?

2) Should respond to one of the solicit packet

if yes ?

How will it choose which one ?

Thanks
Vasu Vallabhaneni

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:49:55 -0500

First, aren't site local addresses essentially gone (I stopped listening to
the debate a while ago ... so I don't know what was ever decided).

But, I would say that the server would be configured to know that the client
was on a particular link based on EITHER site local address and would
therefore consider the "second" request to be a duplicate of the first and
resend essentially the same response. Therefore, the server would respond to
both Advertises with essentially similar information. The client would pick
one of these (randomly perhaps) and send the Request.

In this case, the server policy would likely be to give the client addresses
for both site locals, but that is a policy issue.

If the server isn't configured to know the client is on the same link, it
really doesn't matter though then the client will get one or the other
site-local address and not both.

The above is really no different than the IPv4 case of having two relays on
a single link with multiple "shared subnets" active and each relay having a
giaddr in a different subnet. The DHCPv4 server would respond to both
requests with an address for the client from the range of available
addresses (which might be in one of the subnets or perhaps even a third).

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Vasu,
Vallabhaneni
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2003 12:31 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] RFC - 3315

if yes ?

if yes ?

Thanks
Vasu Vallabhaneni