Subject: [dhcwg] draft-chown-dhc-dual-stack-00

From: Changming Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 18:24:19 -0800

I've read the draft and I agree that there is an issue. But this issue is
not a protocol related per say but local administative one because It can be
simply solved buy the local configuration.

Lots of folks also come from routing world. There may be several IGP running
in one AS such as RIP/OSPF. The same route (the equilvent config info in
DHCP case) can be learned by RIP and OSPF. How does the router solve this
preblom? Nobody has suggested to change the routing protocol. The problem is
solved by Administrative Distance in case of Cisco and other vendors use
similar approach. It becomes purely a local matter.

One way to solve this problem, similar to routing, is to assign a repference
to each DHCP instance. This can be done in two ways, either on the client or
on the server. If on the server, the DHCP protocols need to be enhanced to
carry this info in the message so that client can make informed decision.
The drawback is, how can you con-ordinate the settings of DHCP servers
especially when they may be multi-homed? Another way is that DHCP client
implementation should be flexible enough to allow the local admin to assign
the value to each DHCP client if multiple clients exist. This waay, it
becomes a completely local matter.

BTW we have implemented both DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 client and server on our
dual-stack devices and we offer the user the preference options.

Just another way to look at this problem.

Changming Liu
Netscreen technologies.  

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 12:42:25 +0900

> dual-stack devices and we offer the user the preference options.

That's very helpful information.   It would be wonderful if you could 
write a more detailed description of the problems you've run into and 
the ways you've solved them.   One of the problems we have right now is 
that most people in the working group do not have any operational 
experience with this.

Thanks!