Subject: [dhcwg] Summary of dhc WG meeting @ IETF 59

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 17:50:59 -0500

Here's my summary of the meeting; note that this summary focuses on 
results, not discussion.  I will write up and post more detailed minutes 
separately.

Please review and comment by 3/5.

- Ralph

-----

DHCP Option for Proxy Server Configuration
   <draft-ietf-dhc-proxyserver-opt-00>
   Technical discussion; ready for WG last call?

   Author justified proxy server option because it provides port number
   as well as proxy server address.  WG consensus for WGLC.  Ted Lemon
   to publish editorial comments during WGLC.

The Extended Remote Boot Option for DHCPv4
   <draft-ietf-dhc-opt-extrboot-00>
   Technical discussion; ready for WG last call?

   Author to revise draft to eliminate requirement for sub-options.  No
   WGLC at this time.

Vendor-Identifying Vendor Options for DHCPv4
   <draft-ietf-dhc-vendor-01>
   Technical discussion; ready for WG last call?

   No comments from WG.  WG consensus for WGLC.

Node-Specific Client Identifiers for DHCPv4
   <draft-ietf-dhc-3315id-for-v4-01>
   Technical discussion; ready for WG last call?

   No comments from WG.  WG consensus for WGLC.

Rapid Commit Option for DHCPv4
   <draft-ietf-dhc-rapid-commit-opt-00>
   Technical discussion; ready for WG last call?

   No comments from WG.  WG consensus for WGLC.  Ted Lemon to publish
   editorial comments during WGLC.

DHCPv6 Support for Remote Boot
   <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-rboot-00>
   Technical discussion; ready for WG last call?

   This option may be impacted by dual-stack problem resolution.  Some
   comments from WG.  Author to revise for editorial issues and for
   consistency (where possible) with similar DHCPv4 option.  No WGLC at
   this time.

Configured Tunnel End Point Option for DHCPv6
   <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-ctep-opt-01>
   Technical discussion; ready for WG last call?

   WG consensus that this option is intended for configuring routers,
   which is out-of-scope.  ID to be dropped as WG work item.

Reclassifying DHCPv4 Options
   <draft-ietf-dhc-reclassify-options-00>
   Technical discussion; ready for WG last call?

   No comment from WG.  Consensus for WGLC.

DHCPv4 Support for Conf. IPv6-in-IPv4 Tunnels
   <draft-daniel-dhc-ipv6in4-tunnels-00>
   Accept as WG work item?

   Should be reviewed by v6ops WG.  WG chair to contact v6ops WG chairs
   to determine how to proceed.  Also need to confirm it fits in dhc WG
   charter.  Not accepted as WG work item at this time.

Micro-block IP Addr. Alloc. With DHCP Proxy Server
   <draft-shen-dhc-block-alloc-01>
   Accept as WG work item?

   Fits in dhc WG charter under "address assignment".  Requires
   discussion to reconcile with DHCPv6 prefix delegation and earlier
   ODAP work.  Not accepted as WG work item at this time.

Vendor-Specific Suboption for the DHCP RAIO
   <draft-stapp-dhc-vendor-suboption-00>
   Accept as WG work item?

   Lemon concerned that this option will lead to unstandardized RAIO
   sub-options.  WG consensus to accept as WG work item at this time.

Renumbering Requirements for Stateless DHCPv6
   <draft-chown-dhc-stateless-dhcpv6-renumbering-00>
   Accept as WG work item?

   Addresses issue of updating configuration information obtained
   through Information-Request.  There was some technical discussion by
   the WG.  Charter needs to be updated for this work.  WG consensus to
   accept as WG work item (pending charter update).

Lifetime Option for DHCPv6
   <draft-venaas-dhc-lifetime-01>
   Accept as WG work item?

   Charter needs to be updated for this work.  WG consensus to accept
   as WG work item (pending charter update).

Multicast Reconf. Protocol for Stateless DHCPv6
   <draft-vijay-dhc-dhcpv6-mcast-reconf-00>
   Accept as WG work item?

   Wassserman to take some concerns to dhcwg mailing list.  Charter
   needs to be updated for this work.  WG is very interested in this
   work, but ID is not accepted as WG work item

IPv4 and IPv6 Dual-Stack Issues for DHCPv6
   <draft-chown-dhc-dual-stack-00>
   Accept as WG work item?

   Requires WG charter update to take on this work.  kre remarked that
   title is all wrong; draft really discusses problem of accepting
   configuration from multiple interfaces.  WG consensus to accept as
   WG work item (pending charter update).

DHCPv6 IPv4 Information Options
   <draft-cadar-dhc-dhcpv6-v4options-00>
   Accept as WG work item?

   (skipped)

Update of dhc WG charter

   Part 1 - OK
   Part 2 - OK
   Part 3 - work in progress (security); Droms to ask design team
   about progress
   Part 4 - work in progress; design team (Hibbs, chair) reviewing RFC
   2131
   List of drafts to be dropped; inactive IDs to be explicitly dropped
     from WG work items
   New charter items:
   * Stateless DHCpv6 renumbering
     (<draft-chown-dhc-stateless-dhcpv6-renumbering-00>)
   * Dual stack issues <draft-chown-dhc-dual-stack-00>
   * DHCP proxy architecture - Narten to discuss with WG chair before
     adding to charter

   WG chair to write up text for each of the three items.  WG will
   discuss on dhcwg mailing list

Update on IPR issue with two drafts

   This agenda item was overtaken events; WG to review three new RFCs:
   RFC 3667, RFC 3668, RFC 3669: and discuss IPR issues on dhcwg
   mailing list.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 17:08:10 -0800

>    which is out-of-scope.  ID to be dropped as WG work item.

I wasn't at the meeting, so I might be missing something. But reading
this summary, I think this criteria is not sufficient to not adapt a
draft.
Otherwise prefix delegation mechanism would not have been an RFC (3633).

Alper