Subject: [dhcwg] Leasequery protocol issue

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 20:47:23 -0400

Thomas Narten:

Discuss:
I wonder if the following is a possible protocol issue:

Assume a client is connected to access concentrator A, and obtains a
lease. Client moves to concentrator B, and obtains a second lease. B
looses state, and issues lease query. Server will return two
addresses. How does B know which addresses (and location info) applies
to it (i.e, B) rather than A? Is there info in the protocol messages
that allows B to determine which address is its? E.g., does the
relay-agent info include such an identification in it?

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Kim Kinnear <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 16:42:30 -0400

>relay-agent info include such an identification in it?

        In some cases, I believe the relay agent info does indeed
        include sufficient information for the access
        concentrator to tell which address belongs to it.  There
        is no requirement in the relay-agent-info RFC for that to
        be the case, however.

        I think we could suggest (i.e., SHOULD) in the leasequery
        draft that the relay-agent-info have such information for
        any access concentrator that is going to employ
        leasequery, and present the scenario that you describe
        above as motivation.