Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Option 60 VCI

From: "Kostur, Andre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:06:18 -0700

No device is _required_ to send option 60.

Also, you don't mention what you're trying to accomplish by "separating your
devices".

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jake Howerton [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 1:31 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [dhcwg] Option 60 VCI
> 
> 
> Do all clients transmit option 60?  I am trying to separate 
> devices on my
> network and am looking to find out if linksys and other 
> consumer routers
> transmit option 60 as well as consumer and enterprise Aps 
> like the Orinoco
> AP1000.  I have my cable modems working with this method.  If 
> there are any
> other effective ways to do this, suggestions are appreciated.

---

From: Jake Howerton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:17:47 -0400

Andre,

Thanks for the response.  Do you know if most devices send this option or
most dont?  I am trying to capture the packets with ethereal but none of the
devices I have at my disposal at this moment currently seem to do it.
Unless I am approaching this incorrectly.  Someone told me what the cable
modems send so I didn't have to go through this discover process with them.

My purpose is basically for controlling the network.  In conjunction with
firewall rules I would basically like to ban certain devices and or limit
access for certain devices.  This is in residential apartment buildings for
instance I don't want people putting consumer wireless routers on their
cable modem and opening up holes in the network.  Or I want to keep access
points on a different subnet so wannabe hackers cant mess with them easily
from the subnet that client devices get assigned.

Jake