Subject: [dhcwg] draft-daniel-dhc-dhcpv4-tep-conf-01

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:29:20 -0400

If I understand the protocol specified in this document correctly, it
defines a sequence of DHCP message exchanges and semantics for those message
exchanges that is somewhat different from the message exchanges defined in
RFC 2131.

Specifically, I understand section 5 to define that a new tunnel server (TS3
in the figure) would conduct a DHCP message exchange with each of the tunnel
servers that respond to a DHCPDISCOVER message from TS3 (TS1 and TS2 in the
figure).  This definition differs from that in RFC 2131, which specifies
that the client conduct just a single message exchange with one DHCP server.
  The multiple message exchange would be problematic in that TS3 wants, at
most, only one IPv4 address while requesting tunnel end point information
from all of the other tunnel servers, so the specification would have to
further amend the DHCP message exchange sequence to allow for the use of the
Tunnel End Point Request option without the assignment of an IPv4 address.

Also, if I understand section 5 correctly, any relay agents would have to be
configured to forward DHCPDISCOVER messages from the tunnel servers to all
of the other tunnel servers, as well as any other DHCP servers that might be
deployed in the cetnral IPv4 cloud.

Section 1 cites RFC 3053 in conjunction with "configured tunnels".  SHould
this be a citation for RFC 2893?

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg