Subject: [dhcwg] IPv6 tunnelling options for IPv4

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:59:55 -0400

I've been reviewing draft-daniel-dhc-ipv6in4-opt-04.txt - does
draft-daniel-dhc-ipv6in4-opt-04.txt specify "configured IPv6-over-IPv4
tunneling", as described in section 4 of RFC 2893?  If so, it would be
helpful to include a specific reference, as there are numerous tunneling and
"IPv6-xxx-IPv4" transition mechanisms...

I can imagine the mechanism in draft-daniel-dhc-ipv6in4-opt-04.txt as being
useful in the following scenario:

<---IPv6---->|<-------------IPv4 only----------->|<--IPv6--...

          +-------+     +------+              +--------+
          |  CPE  |     | Edge |      ISP     | Tunnel |
          |gateway+-----+Router+-----core-----+endpoint|
          +-------+     +------+       |      +--------+
                                   +---+--+
                                   | DHCP |
                                   |server|
                                   +------+

In this scenario, the CPE gateway uses DHCPv4 to obtain its IPv4 address and
other configuration information.  The DHCPv4 configured tunnel endpoint
option would provide the IPv4 address of the ISP tunnel endpoint as part of
the DHCPv4 configuration process to the CPE gateway, which would then use
that IPv4 address as the destination to tunnel IPv6 traffic from the
customer network through the IPv4-only portion of the ISP network.

If I have this scenario right, it would help to include a description of it
in draft-daniel-dhc-ipv6in4-opt-04.txt, both to clarify the use of the
option and motivate the requirements for its definition.

Is the expectation in draft-daniel-dhc-ipv6in4-opt-04.txt that the tunnel,
once established, looks like a simple link to the IPv6 stack?  That is, will
RAs be exchanged and ND be run across the link?  Will the tunnel endpoints
use a routing protocol?

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 09:08:49 +0900

> "IPv6-xxx-IPv4" transition mechanisms...

So, I've added this concern into the revised version.

> 
> I can imagine the mechanism in 
> draft-daniel-dhc-ipv6in4-opt-04.txt as being

Also, this option is useful for dual stack user to obtain its IPv6 connectivity
via IPv6-over-IPv4 tunnel within its IPv4 network.

                         [DHCP server]
                                  |
                                  |
<-----IPv4--------------------+------------------------>IPv6
[IPv4/6 user]==IPv6-over-IPv4 Tunnel===>

> option and motivate the requirements for its definition.
 
Originally, I thought of this point as out of scope of the draft because
several similar draft were proposed in this WG without specific 
description of use case like mine. If needed, it can be done simply.

> RAs be exchanged and ND be run across the link?  Will the tunnel endpoints

It was also tested and added into the new version. RA runs well 
via this configured tunnel.

     Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)
     Mobile Platform Lab. Samsung Electronics.