Subject: RE: RE: [dhcwg] New draft on DHCPv6 Relay Information Option a n d RADIUS Attributes sub-option

From: "Kuntal Chowdhury" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:38:10 -0400

draft-chowdhury-mip6-bootstrap-radius-01.txt is not publicly available yet
because I submitted -01 version after the 25th Nov cutoff date. It will be
available after Nov 7th when the new submission gate opens. If you need, I
can send you a copy. 

BTW, the DHCP relay does not do AAA AVP parsing. The NAS which is collocated
with the DHCP relay does the parsing. Don't you think AAA AVP parsing is in
the job description of a NAS?

-Kuntal

-----Original Message-----
From: Wing Cheong Lau [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 5:06 PM
To: Chowdhury, Kuntal [RICH1:2H18:EXCH]; Wing Cheong Lau
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: RE: [dhcwg] New draft on DHCPv6 Relay Information Option an d
RADIUS Attributes sub-option

Kuntal,

At 01:54 PM 10/29/2004, Kuntal Chowdhury wrote:

The intent in your draft i.e. configure MN with HA/HoA/HL information can be
achieved with:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chowdhury-dhc-mip6-agentop-00.txt

Thanks for bringing to our attention the existence of this new draft.
Somehow, I have not seen
its announcement before, at least not in the dhc or mip6 mailing list.

Unlike your draft this draft:

1. Does not require the DHCP server to parse vendor-specific RADIUS
attributes.

But it requires the DHCP relay-agent to parse and understand the newly
defined, yet-to-be standardized RADIUS Attributes carrying
HA/HoA/Home-link-prefix as described in 

draft-chowdhury-mip6-bootstrap-radius-00.txt and similar yet-to-be
defined attributes if DIAMETER is used.

2. Has no interdomain (ASP-MSP) tight coupling assumption.
3. Provides integrity and authenticity of the information that is exchanged.
4. It is AAA protocol agnostic, i.e. works for both RADIUS and DIAMETER.
5. Does not assume a 3GPP2 centric architecture. It is generic.

Regards,
Kuntal

I just did a quick pass thru it but did not find any description addressing
the issue where
the NAS/DHCP relay-agent and the AAA belongs to a different domain and
RADIUS is used as
the AAA protocol. (This is precisely the same issue you raised for the
DHCPv6 Relay Information Option/RADIUS Attributes sub-option draft.). So,
would you point to the specific text in the draft which substantiates your
claims 2) and 4) simultaneously ? 

Currently, the draft just conveniently states:
"The AAA procedures using RADIUS is defined in [MIP6-RADIUS]",
but

   [MIP6-RADIUS]
             
Chowdhury et. al., K., "RADIUS Attributes for Mobile IPv6
             
bootstrapping", draft-chowdhury-mip6-bootstrap-radius-01
             
(work in progress), July 2004.

cannot be found in public (I meant -01 version cannot be found, only -00 is
available). 
On the other hand, I cannot see how the cross-domain scenario described in
-00 version of  
draft-chowdhury-mip6-bootstrap-radius

the draftis different than the one in draft-droms-dhc-v6-relayopt-00.txt.

Am I missing something here ?

I would also like to point out that the DHCPv6 Relay Info Option/ RADIUS
Attribute sub-option actually addresses 2 level of  needs:

1. The ability of DHCPv6 Relay agent to tag along additional "info" as it
forwards requests from the DHCP client to the DHCP server, regardless of the
specific nature of the "info". This is a "general"
capability for the DHCPv6 Relay agent which is absent from the RFC 3315. It
seems like both your
and our draft needs such capability. The main difference is that, in
draft-chowdhury-dhc-mip6-agentop-00.txt, newly defined MIP6-bootstrapping
options are relayed while in draft-droms-dhc-v6-relayopt-00.txt, the info
got relayed are RADIUS attributes.

2. As for the relay-agent RADIUS option, it is a feature of its own right,
the example given in our draft is just one of its use which can help address
an immediate issue in 3GPP2 835D. 

3. As stated in draft-droms-dhc-v6-relayopt-00.txt, 
" This document uses 3GPP2 access authentication as an example to 
   motivate the use of the Relay Agent Information option and the RADIUS 
   Attributes sub-option by a NAS. The Relay Agent Information option is 
   not limited to use in conjunction with RADIUS sub-option when other 
   sub-options are defined in the future. The RADIUS Attributes sub-
   option for the Relay Agent Information option described in this 
   document is not limited to use in conjunction with 3GPP2 and can be 
   used to carry RADIUS attributes obtained by the relay agent for any 
   reason.  That is, the sub-option is not limited to use with 3GPP2, 
   but is constrained by RADIUS semantics." 

Regards,

Wing 

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Wing Cheong Lau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:44:50 -0700

>Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 11:23:40 -0700
>To: "Kuntal Chowdhury" <[email-masked]>
>From: Wing Cheong Lau <[email-masked]>
>Subject: RE: RE: [dhcwg] New draft on DHCPv6 Relay Information Option    a 
>n d RADIUS Attributes sub-option
>
>At 03:38 PM 10/29/2004, you wrote:
>Sure, a URL for that draft will be welcome. Thanks in advance.
>(BTW, the reference date for -01 should be
>Oct 04, rather than July 04, as currently shown in 
>draft-chowdhury-dhc-mip6-agentop-00.txt then).
>
>In any case,  would you share with us  in advance how the proposed scheme 
>addresses the trust/security
>issue for the case where the NAS/DHCP relay-agent and the AAA belong to 
>different domains
>and RADIUS is used as the AAA protocol ?
>This is  to substantiate the support of claims 2) and 4) simultaneously ?
>
>
>Regards,
>
>Wing
>
>
>