Subject: Minutes from DHC WG meetings in Minneapolis

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 13:38:25 -0400

Here are my draft minutes from the WG meeting.  Please respond with 
additions, corrections or comments by 5PM, 4/6.

- Ralph

Summary of DHC WG meetings in Minneapolis.

Monday, 1530-1730 - DHCPv4 agenda items

DHC WG activities update                   Ralph Droms, 10 minutes

Droms announced that the relay information option, load balancing and
authentication specs have been accepted as draft standards.

DHCP Option for SIP Servers                Henning Schulzrinne, 20 minutes
   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip/drafts/draft-ietf-sip-dhcp-04.txt

The WG finds this option acceptable in principle; however, the
specific format and encoding of data in the option is still an issue.
Authors want simple ASCII text encoding of DNS name or dotted decimal
IP address; WG recommends RFC1035 encoding for DNS name and binary
encoding of IP address with flag to indicate which encoding is in use.
WG has selected RFC1035 for other recent options.

Addition of Device Class to Agent Options  Rich Woundy, 10 minutes
   draft-ietf-dhc-agentoptions-device-class-01.txt

This spec is ready for WG last call.

The DHCP Client FQDN Option                Mark Stapp, 10 minutes
   draft-ietf-dhc-fqdn-option-01.txt
Resolution of DNS Name Conflicts Among DHCP Clients
   draft-ietf-dhc-ddns-resolution-01.txt

Author will rev spec, changing "MUST implement" to "SHOULD implement";
spec will then we ready for WG last call.

Encoding Long DHCP Options                 Ted Lemon, 10 minutes
   draft-ietf-dhc-concat-00.txt

This draft enables the CSR option as well as other options that may
require more than 255 data bytes.  Kim Kinnear will forward spec fixes
to author.  Next rev of spec will be ready for WG last call.

The Classless Static Route Option for DHCP Ted Lemon, 10 minutes
   draft-ietf-dhc-csr-04.txt

This draft depends on the long DHCP options draft.  Bernie Volz will
forward spec fixes to author.  Next rev of spec will be ready for WG
last call.

DHCP Failover Protocol                     Kim Kinnear, 5 minutes
   draft-ietf-dhc-failover-08.txt

Kinnear will review last call comments and issue concerning addresses
in protocol (does NAT affect server-server identification using IP
addresses?).  Next rev of spec will be ready for WG last call.

DHCP Lease Query                           Kim Kinnear, 10 minutes
   draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-01.txt

Spec requires further work with input from WG.

Subnet Selection sub-option for Relay      Kim Kinnear, 15 minutes
     Agent Information Option
   draft-kinnear-agent-subnet-selection-00.txt

This spec is ready for WG last call.

DHCP VPN Information option
   draft-johnson-vpn-id-option-00.txt
VPN Identifier sub-option for Relay
     Agent Information Option
   draft-kinnear-agent-vpn-id-00.txt

These specs will be taken on as DHC WG work items.

Triggering AAA from DHCP Relay Agents      George Tsirtsis, 20 minutes
   draft-ietf-dhc-aaa-ra-00.txt

Author will work with Droms and Schnizlein to revise draft.

Extensions to DHCP for Roaming Users       Biswaroop Mukherjee, 15 minutes
   draft-mukherjee-dhc-dhcproam-01.txt

This spec will be taken on as a DHC WG work item.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, 0900-1130 - DHCPv6 review

Report from DDDT (Dynamic DNS Design Team) Bernard Aboba, 15 minutes

The DDDT has developed an "Analysis of DNS Server Discovery Mechanisms
for IPv6" <draft-ietf-ipngwg-dns-discovery-00.txt>.  One of the
discovery mechanisms uses DHCP messages and semantics to pass DNS
server information to clients.  Aboba presented a summary of the
report for the information of the DHC WG.

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol        Jim Bound, Ralph Droms
for IPv6 (DHCPv6)
   draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-17.txt
   - Review of changes in current draft
   - Review of design team teleconference

     Summary of changes:
     * Added new messages: Confirm, Renew, Rebind, Decline
     * Uniform format for all client-server messages
     * Clarified relay agent forwarding
     * Advertise messages include offered addresses for client selection
     * Clients multicast all messages to accommodate relay agent
       options; will add new option to allow server control of use of
       unicast
     * New Reconfigure-init semantics - "trigger" reconfigure state

     Changes accepted by WG except for:
     * Reconfigure-init - punt on multicast reconfigure-init
     * Spec needs review of options - which are required in
       base spec?
     * Spec needs review of error codes

Authors will revise spec according to WG input from meeting discussion
and based on input from Francis Dupont.

   - Discussion of outstanding issues
     * Temporary addresses
     * IA identification
     * DHCP-DNS interaction

WG will continue to consider thses issues through the WG mailing list.