Subject: RE: DHCPNACK for DHCPv6 [Proposed Draft Changes]

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:43:45 -0500

I don't understand this reasoning. (Whats IIRC anyway?)

What difference does that make? A Release or Decline can be unicast as well
(if the client has another address - in a different IA - than what it is
releasing and the server has told the client it can unicast).

Why does *HOW* the packet was sent make any difference? Remember, we're
dealing with MANY addresses so an individual message's IAs have nothing to
do with other IAs (and hence addresses) that client has.

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Lemon [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 4:52 PM
To: DHCPv6 discussion list
Subject: Re: DHCPNACK for DHCPv6 [Proposed Draft Changes] 

>    [Should we include Renew in the message list and add to 14.4.3?]

The renew message can be unicast (IIRC) so the server can't make a
determination as to the validity of the prefix.

			       _MelloN_

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:51:02 -0700

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

> releasing and the server has told the client it can unicast).

The server doesn't need to make a determination as to what link the
client is on in the case of Release.   Decline probably does need to
go through the relay.

> do with other IAs (and hence addresses) that client has.

If the packet goes through a relay, the relay can say on which link
the packet was received.  If it is unicast through a router, that is
not the case.  In the case where it is unicast through a router,
therefore, it doesn't make sense to check the prefix - we can only
assume that it is correct.  In the case where it is not correct, the
packet probably wouldn't have gotten to us, and even if it did somehow
get to us, we couldn't reply, because our reply will go to the link
where the prefix *is* valid.

			       _MelloN_