Subject: [dhcwg] Recovery of unused DHCP option codes

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:48:12 -0500

I've published a document, draft-ietf-dhc-unused-optioncodes-00, that lists 
several opcodes that were assigned prior to the publication of RFC2489 
(which was updated by RFC2939).  For a variety of reasons, the options 
associated with these opcodes were never accepted as standards and 
published as RFCs.

The publication of draft-ietf-dhc-unused-optioncodes-00 is the first step 
in the return of these opcodes to IANA for assignment to future DHCP 
options.  Here's the plan:

1. Make an announcement on dhcwg asking for dhc WG
    review of the draft; explicitly ask for report
    of actual use of any options listed in the draft
2. Revise the draft in the form of an Informational
    RFC explicitly directing IANA to make the
    option codes listed in the draft available for
    assignment to new options in the future
3. Make an announcement to the IETF as a whole asking
    for review of the draft and report of any option
    known to be in use
4. Submit this document to the IESG for publication
    as an Informational RFC

This announcement is step 1 from the list.  Please review 
draft-ietf-dhc-unused-optioncodes-00 and respond to the dhc WG mailing list 
if you know of any of the options listed in the document that are in use, 
or if you have any other comments on the contents of the draft.  We'll take 
a couple of minutes to discuss the draft and solicit input at the WG 
meeting in SF, as well.

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Michael Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 20:08:23 GMT

Ralph,

Options 93 (client system architecture), 94 (client network interface 
identifier) and 97 (client machine identfier (UUID)) are in heavy use today 
and are, and have been for several years, required for all new business PCs 
with built-in network devices to pass Microsoft WHQL. 

%%michael 

Ralph Droms writes: 

> I've published a document, draft-ietf-dhc-unused-optioncodes-00, that 
> lists several opcodes that were assigned prior to the publication of 
> RFC2489 (which was updated by RFC2939).  For a variety of reasons, the 
> options associated with these opcodes were never accepted as standards and 
> published as RFCs. 
> 
> draft-ietf-dhc-unused-optioncodes-00 and respond to the dhc WG mailing 
> list if you know of any of the options listed in the document that are in 
> use, or if you have any other comments on the contents of the draft.  
> We'll take a couple of minutes to discuss the draft and solicit input at 
> the WG meeting in SF, as well. 
> 
> - Ralph 
>

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:14:37 -0500

OK, thanks...

- Ralph

At 08:08 PM 2/28/2003 +0000, Michael Johnston wrote:
>identifier) and 97 (client machine identfier (UUID)) are in heavy use 
>today and are, and have been for several years, required for all new 
>business PCs with built-in network devices to pass Microsoft WHQL.
>%%michael
>
>Ralph Droms writes:
>>options associated with these opcodes were never accepted as standards 
>>and published as RFCs.