Subject: [dhcwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dhc-server-override-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 06:42:58 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: DHCP Server-ID Override Suboption
	Author(s)	: R. Johnson et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dhc-server-override-00.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 2003-2-13
	
This memo defines a new suboption of the DHCP relay information
option [6] which allows the DHCP relay to specify a new value for the
Server-ID option, which is inserted by the DHCP Server.  In some
cases it is convenient for the DHCP relay to act as the actual DHCP
server such that DHCP RENEWAL requests will come to the relay instead
of going to the server directly.  This gives the relay the
opportunity to include the Relay Agent option with appropriate
suboptions even on RENEWAL messages.
This new relay agent suboption allows the relay to tell the DHCP
server what value to use in the Server-ID option [3].  If this
suboption is not present, the server should build the Server-ID
option in the normal fashion.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-server-override-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dhc-server-override-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-server-override-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: John Schnizlein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:02:15 -0500

At 01:16 PM 2/14/2003, Kostur, Andre wrote:

>If the device is in the REBINDING state, then the client is 
>broadcasting it's REQUEST.  Since the Relay is down, the DHCP 
>Server still won't receive the Request, there's nothing to 
>relay the broadcast to the server....
>
>>> 1) This introduces a new point of failure in a DHCP infrastructure.  

Maybe I am missing something, but this seems not to be a new
point of potential failure because the relay is usually the
router nearest the DHCP client. If it goes down, no traffic
of any kind reaches anywhere off the local subnet.

John

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Kostur, Andre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:35:24 -0800

> of any kind reaches anywhere off the local subnet.

Granted, but it's not required that the Relay must exist on the
Router between two networks.