Subject: [dhcwg] URL option (again)?

From: Simon Vogl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:04:22 +0200

Hello all,
we are investigating location based services for
mobile devices that are connected to our campus network
(and thus the Internet) via WLAN.

Our intention is to provide users with web-based information
depending on the area they reside in, while consuming as little
resources as possible, and withoud introducing new protocol stacks.

I found a the document specifying the URL option (#114) but
it seems to be unused as well as too little flexible.

The only other dhcp option that includes URLs is in the uap option
set (rfc2485) to pass the url of a login page, which is too specific
for our intentions.

I would like to use an option that codes not only the url itself, but
also a string that identifies the service/application that should
be addressed. The latter lets us route information to different applications
on the mobile client and clarify the intentions/content of the passed
URL.

URL data can be passed whenever the client asks for a new address, or
could be pushed asynchronously by the server using the reconfigure
extension (a la rfc3203).

As I have not played around with dhcp implementations yet, I'd
like to know if this is seems feasible and a sound approach.

Is there a option region reserved for experimental options so I can
start a test implementation without too many side effects?

Thanks for your insights,
Simon Vogl

-- 
------------------------------------------------
Dr. Simon Vogl
Department  of   Computer  Science
Johannes Kepler University of Linz
Altenberger Straße 69
A-4040 Linz - Austria

Tel: +43 70 2468 8517  [email-masked]
Fax: +43 70 2468 8426   www.soft.uni-linz.ac.at

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Thamer Al-Harbash <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:49:20 -0400 (EDT)

> like to know if this is seems feasible and a sound approach.

Sure. There's a vendor specific option which you could use along
with the URL option.

-- 
Thamer Al-Harbash
GPG Key fingerprint
   = D7F3 1E3B F329 8DD5 FAE3  03B1 A663 E359 D686 AA1F