Subject: [dhcwg] WG last call on draft-ietf-dhc-subscriber-id-01.txt>

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 06:45:26 -0400

This message announces a WG last call on "DHCP Subscriber ID Suboption for
the DHCP Relay Agent Option" <draft-ietf-dhc-subscriber-id-01.txt>.  The
last call will conclude on Friday, 9/12.

Please respond to this WG last call.  If you support acceptance of the
document without change, respond with a simple acknowledgment, so that
support for the document can be assessed.

draft-ietf-dhc-subscriber-id-01.txt defines a new DHCP Relay Suboption for
passing a byte string representing a "Subscriber ID" from a relay agent to
the DHCP server. The intended purpose of the subscriber ID is to give
additional information which the DHCP server can use in address allocation.
This draft is available as
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-subscriber-id-01.txt

- Ralph Droms 

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Bud Millwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:25:51 +0200

> last call will conclude on Friday, 9/12.

This documents says:

   The value is simply an array of bytes which
   can be interpreted by the DHCP server in whatever manner wanted.  The
   value can be a character string giving the name of the subscriber,
   four bytes interpreted as a big endian unsigned integer giving the
   number of the subscriber, a string of hex digits giving the
   subscriber ID, or whatever is needed.  The precise definition of the
   bytes is left to the implementation and field use.

We would really like to see this suboption fixed to exactly one data type. The 
problem with allowing the subscriber id be a sequence of bytes or an ascii 
string is that when it comes time for us to report the subscriber id, say in 
a log file, we really have no idea how to display it correctly. We may end up 
displaying it as a sequence of bytes, although it is (according to the 
manufacturer's documentation) a printable string, or vice-versa.

- Bud

Bud Millwood
Weird Solutions, Inc.
http://www.weird-solutions.com
tel: +46 8 758 3700
fax: +46 8 758 3687
mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Andreas Öman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 20:37:27 +0200

> manufacturer's documentation) a printable string, or vice-versa.

I second that.
Also, i'd prefer strings. Not only for the reasons above, but for the
ability to do wildcard-compares, regexps, etc in the DCHP server when
selecting scope.

--
Andreas Öman, Software Engineer
Packetfront.