Subject: [dhcwg] Questions about "DHCPv6 Support for Remote Boot"

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:10:57 -0500

Am I understanding draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-rboot-00.txt correctly - it
provides much the same information in a DHCPv6 option that
draft-ietf-dhc-opt-extrboot provides in a DHCPv4 option?  That is, a list of
TFTP servers, with a list of files associated with each server?

Seems like there should be a way to specify the DNS name of the TFTP server
as well as the IPv6 address.

Unless there may be more sub-option types in the future, the
OPTION_REMOTE_BOOT_PARAMS option could be omitted.

Is there any chance that it might be required to use some other transport
mechanism such as FTP or HTTP?

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Vijayabhaskar A K <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:23:42 +0530

> TFTP servers, with a list of files associated with each server?

Yes. You are correct...

> as well as the IPv6 address.

I thought about that.. But, as all the other options are specified as 
addresses rather than names, to maintain the consistency I used address 
format.. Moreover, I couldn't imagine the  advantage of names over IP 
addresses in this case.

> OPTION_REMOTE_BOOT_PARAMS option could be omitted.

Basically, OPTION_REMOTE_BOOT_PARAMS is for coupling the tftp server and 
the file names..

> mechanism such as FTP or HTTP?

I couldn't think of any.. TFTP is the widely used mechanism for 
downloading boot images (or) installing the depots..

~ Vijay

-- 
__________________________________________________________
Vijayabhaskar A K            Phone : +91-80-22053085
Hewlett Packard              Mobile: +91-9845241382
Bangalore, India             Email : [email-masked]

Intellectuals solve problems: geniuses prevent them.
-Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel laureate (1879-1955)
__________________________________________________________