Subject: [Dime] RFC 7155 missing Origin-AAA-Protocol from RFC 4005

From: Luke Mewburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 12:52:49 +1000

Hi,

I was reviewing RFC 7155 versus the IANA AVP codes registry, and it
appears that the description of Origin-AAA-Protocol (AVP Code 408) is
missing from RFC 7155.  The AVP is documented in RFC 4005 section 9.3.6.
The Origin-AAA-Protocol AVP is referenced in other sections in RFC 7155,
including section 3.1 AAR.

It appears that this may be an accidental omission when
RFC 7155 obsoleted RFC 4005.

The IANA AVP Code registry
	https://www.iana.org/assignments/aaa-parameters/aaa-parameters.xhtml#aaa-parameters-1
lists
	408	Origin-AAA-Protocol	[RFC7155]

RFC 7155 section 1.1 mentions that all the RADIUS/Diameter interactions
have been removed, which may explain why RFC 4005 section 9.3 was
not carried over to RFC 7155?

I'm not sure the best way to resolve this, for example, as
a potential errata item.

Should RFC 7155 have a new section 4.7 "AVPs only used for compatibility"?
Then reuse the text of RFC 4005 9.3.6 "Origin-AAA-Protocol" as
RFC 7155 4.7.1 "Origin-AAA-Protocol AVP", following what appears to
be the existing pattern used for other AVPs between 4005 and 7115 ?

(I asked Glen Zorn via email and he suggested submitting an errata,
but as I'm not experienced with IETF processes I didn't want to just
jump in and submit an errata without discussion first.)

regards,
Luke.