Subject: [Dime] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dime-group-signaling-13.txt> (Diameter Group Signaling) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 06:45:37 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Diameter Maintenance and Extensions
WG (dime) to consider the following document: - 'Diameter Group Signaling'
  <draft-ietf-dime-group-signaling-13.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-01-25. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   In large network deployments, a single Diameter node can support over
   a million concurrent Diameter sessions.  Recent use cases have
   revealed the need for Diameter nodes to apply the same operation to a
   large group of Diameter sessions concurrently.  The Diameter base
   protocol commands operate on a single session so these use cases
   could result in many thousands of command exchanges to enforce the
   same operation on each session in the group.  In order to reduce
   signaling, it would be desirable to enable bulk operations on all (or
   part of) the sessions managed by a Diameter node using a single or a
   few command exchanges.  This document specifies the Diameter protocol
   extensions to achieve this signaling optimization.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-group-signaling/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.