Subject: The IETF Golden Rules

From: Jacob Palme <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:15:21 +0200

I have written an Internet Draft on the IETF Golden Rules
which may be very controversial.

Abstract:

This memo presents the following rules, which to some
extend can be regarded as the golden rules of IETF, even
though there are exceptions when these rules should not be
adhered to.

- Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what
   you send
- Do not munge forwarded data
- Modify as late as possible
- Cause no harm
- Leave nothing undefined
- Keep it simple, stupid
- No voting, rough consensus
- Plain ASCII text is enough

I have started a mailing list to discuss this draft, so that
people not interested don't have to participate.

To subscribe to the mailing list, go to
http://lists.dsv.su.se/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ietf-golden/

Do not comment on the draft in [email-masked] or
[email-masked], use the new mailing list.
-- 
Professor Jacob Palme <[email-masked]> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/

---

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:54:20 -0700 (PDT)

Nice list.  How about adding:

- Be very suspicious of centralized solutions that encourage monopolies
	and may introduce single points of failure.

Bob Braden