Subject: javascript URI scheme not registered - spec seems to be missing

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 17:22:27 +0100

Digging around a question recently posed to me reveals that the commonly-used
(pseudo-)URI scheme 'javascript:' is not registered [1], and I also note that
the specification [3] noted by one web site [2] is no longer available.

BTW, the web page [4] ("What schemes are out there?") might be a useful resource
in considering what schemes might be candidates for provisional registration
(possibly with health warnings) if they're not already registered.

#g
--

[1] http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes.html

[2] http://esw.w3.org/topic/UriSchemes/javascript

[3] http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/js/client/jsref/index.htm (no
longer available)

[4] http://esw.w3.org/topic/UriSchemes

-- 
Graham Klyne
For email:
http://www.ninebynine.org/#Contact

---

From: "Charles Iliya Krempeaux" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 16:11:54 -0700

Hello Graham,

I noticed there was one URI scheme missing from that list of known URI schemes.

In the old Netscape Navigator web browsers, there was something like a
WYSIWYG URI scheme.  (Although I think it wasn't exactly "WYSIWYG"...
but had one of the letters different.)

I remember it coming up every now about then when you were just going
about normal web browsing.  (Back then I thought it was some kind of
bug that made it show up.)

Not sure if anyone else remembers this.

-- 
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.

    charles @ reptile.ca
    supercanadian @ gmail.com

    developer weblog: http://ChangeLog.ca/
___________________________________________________________________________
 Make Television                                http://maketelevision.com/