Subject: Lisa's IETF meeting week summary

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 17:31:00 -0800

This email is an overview of the activity in the meetings I attended  
last week at the 67th IETF in San Diego.  To catch up more, there are  
many sources of information online: the minutes and presentations  
(which will be uploaded over the next month or two by the chairs),  
jabber logs which typically have the equivalent of complete minutes,  
and audio recordings.  There's also the relevant mailing list for  
each WG, which often reprises the in-person discussion particularly  
after minutes are posted to the list.
	- https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/meeting_materials.cgi? 
meeting_num=67
	- http://www3.ietf.org/meetings/ietf-logs/
	- http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/

App Area Open Meeting
	- Future of email work: Alexey summarized "Generation 3" of email  
work as currently going on in several email WGs.  Harald filled in  
EAI pieces and Barry summarized DKIM status.  Recommendations: Do  
cross-WG review, start implementing, think now if we're missing key  
pieces of the overall picture.
	- Presentations on ongoing work: IDNA (John Klensin),
	- Calls for participation/action: Registry for TV URIs (Iko  
Keesmat), ORCHIDs (Ted Hardie for Jari Arkko) -- ORCHIDs are about  
allocating some IPv6 address space for experiments.
	- How to do Application protocols without registering for ports  
under 1024 (Eliot Lear).

CALSIFY and calendaring lunch
	- Plugging away on issues!  Go CALSIFY
	- Expecting to publish new RFC2445-bis draft very shortly.

SIEVE
	- Normal progress on SIEVE issues.
	- Agreed to drop REGEX draft from charter.
	- Brief discussion on how upgrading RFC2821 (SMTP) to Proposed  
Standard would be good, provided we can make do with very little  
explicit, new interoperability testing and reporting as we don't have  
volunteers for that.  I'm following up to discuss with volunteers.

WIDEX
	- Discussed possibility of closing WG, in order to have more  
flexibility to publish individual Experimental Drafts, and revisit  
possibility of standards track once we see some uptake.

Lemonade
	- Presentation and discussion on notification, with many well- 
thought out issues about the overall problem and how disjoint the  
current piecework solutions are, from Ray Cromwell.
	- Saw consensus to take the Expunged draft (which I had agreed to  
shepherd as an individual submission) and roll it into the next  
version of draft-ietf-lemonade-reconnect-client.   Thus, this work  
becomes a WG deliverable rather than something for me to shepherd as  
individual.

Notifications lunch
	- Initiating plans to write a charter and propose a BoF scoped very  
carefully and solidly to put in the final missing pieces to allow  
email server events to be delivered to a wide variety of clients over  
existing transports (XMPP, SIP, mail and SMS or some subset).
	- Volunteer BoF cat-herders: Philip, Barry --> will create mail list  
and send announcements.

EAI
	- Attended to try to keep up with fast-paced email work in this  
group.  Various decisions made on how to represent i18n addresses.
	- Risk identified: how DKIM will fail to effectively sign email when  
it may have to be downgraded to be sent into non-i18n systems at some  
point in transit.  Obviously the best place to sign email is after  
transformations such as downgrades, when that's possible.

IMAPEXT
	- Realized that IMAPEXT i18n and SORT documents need one more piece  
before they can finish!  The comparator registry was a pre-requisite,  
but so is a specific comparator that can work for searching within  
free-text fields that might contain accented characters or other  
glyphs that can be constructed more than one way in Unicode.  Arnt to  
work on a new comparator for the new registry, like the "i-basic"  
comparator that was pulled from the original comparator doc.

Plenaries, tutorials, IESG meetings
	- ICE Tutorial: http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/ice-ietf-tutorial.pdf   
-- great tutorial on how (and why) to do p2p NAT traversal for real- 
time applications.  Overall ICE proposal pulls together several  
different RAI area technologies including STUN and TURN.
	- IAB Plenary: Network transparency talk, unwanted traffic workshop  
outcomes, and Routing workshop outcomes.  Imminent death of the  
Internet predicted in several interesting ways.
	- IESG meetings: Discussed next steps in experiments in early  
external review -- outside-WG document review before WG last call

See <http://staringatemptypages.blogspot.com/2006/11/ietf-67-san- 
diego.html> for Barry's notes on many of the same meetings.

--Lisa