Subject: Re: FWD: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-unicode-escapes-00.txt

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:04:39 -0500

--On Monday, 22 January, 2007 08:48 +0000 "Clive D.W. Feather"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Please remove the term "extended ASCII" from 1.1 - there is no
> such thing. If you want to talk about an 8 bit character set,
> then "the ISO 8859 family" would do.

FWIW, while I fixed this text, more or less as you suggested
(and it needed fixing), there actually was an ANSI Standard
"ASCII-8" for a while.  If I recall, it was ultimately withdrawn
in favor of ANSI/INCITS endorsement of ISO 8859-1, but "extended
ASCII" was actually well-defined.

     john

---

From: "Clive D.W. Feather" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:37:02 +0000

> ASCII" was actually well-defined.

Hmm, I live and learn.

Do you have a document number or something that I can investigate further?
A bit of googling suggests you are correct but doesn't tell me any more
than that.

-- 
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <[email-masked]>   | Tel:    +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <[email-masked]>  | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Mobile: +44 7973 377646
THUS plc            |                            |