Subject: Dates for architecture workshop

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:10:44 -0700

Quick question.  Are there any conflicts with the dates Feb 11 and 12  
for an apps-related event?  I know CalConnect is the week before.

Lisa

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 18:20:41 -0400

--On Thursday, 20 September, 2007 11:10 -0700 Lisa Dusseault
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Quick question.  Are there any conflicts with the dates Feb 11
> and 12 for an apps-related event?  I know CalConnect is the
> week before.

Lisa, 

According to their calendar at http://www.icann.org/meetings/,
ICANN is meeting from the 10th - 15th in the Asia Pacific area.
I try to avoid those meetings when possible, but it is often not
possible.

    john

---

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:41:12 -0700

I think that conflict is livable, and since the dates work well for  
CalConnect people and for me and Chris, I'd like to nail those dates  
down.  Please put Feb 11/12 on your calendar if you're interested in  
participating.

We haven't nailed down all the details yet, but here's the rough idea:

  - The topic is intended to be Apps area common architecture (some  
such pieces which already exist include SASL, LDAP, URLs, MIME  
types).  Any topic should relate to more than one application.
  - We would like this to be a working meeting. We may break people  
out forcibly into twos or threes to actually write stuff (email,  
proposals, I-D text,  etc) but we'll also have some discussion as a  
big group.
  - We would like participation to be open to people who aren't  
already Apps 'insiders' so we do not plan to issue formal invitations  
to a closed list of people.  However, in order to limit attendance a  
little, we will ask for on-topic position papers, just a few pages,  
in advance of the meeting, as a condition of participation.
  - If you intend to participate, I'd appreciate an email any time to  
get a rough headcount.
  - The deadline for position papers is tentatively friday, Dec 14.   
That gives the IETF week and one week after for people who want to  
bounce ideas around for position papers.
  - We'll circulate the position papers in January so that people can  
read and comment in advance.  More homework!
  - It will be in the Bay area.
  - We are going to look for a host, but if there are a few expenses  
not covered, we may ask for a few 100$ attendance fee.  If we need to  
ask this we'll ask in advance of the actual meeting, but once we have  
a better idea how many people and what meeting space we need to obtain.

Thanks,
Lisa

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 21:32:34 -0700

Lisa Dusseault wrote:
>  - The topic is intended to be Apps area common architecture (some such 
> pieces which already exist include SASL, LDAP, URLs, MIME types).  Any 
> topic should relate to more than one application.
>  - We would like this to be a working meeting. We may break people out 
> forcibly into twos or threes to actually write stuff (email, proposals, 
> I-D text,  etc) but we'll also have some discussion as a big group.

Lisa,

I've re-read your note a few times and while I think I understand the concept 
of "common architecture" I am not understanding what you mean by "position 
papers".

Can you clarify what sorts of architectural problems are motivating the event, 
what sorts of issues you are looking to have addressed, what sorts of 
follow-on actions you are seeking, etc.?

Thanks.

d/

ps. There is a reasonably strong argument that the most successful "common" 
architectures were not developed with the target of being "common" but rather 
for solving a specific problem.  The broader applicability came from doing a 
good job of solving the problem in a way that was flexible or clean or 
somesuch.  (Uh oh.  Did I just write a position sentence?)
-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net