Subject: SNMP Bulk Data Transfer

From: Bob Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 16:42:25 -0500

As I said I would at the last IETF (although rather later), and at the
gentle prodding of Area Director Bert, I just submitted two Internet Drafts
for a way to do bulk transfer of MIB data:

	draft-stewart-bulk-file-mib-01.txt
	draft-stewart-ftp-client-mib-01.txt

Anyway that's what I called them.  I put them under my name as they have no
working group home yet.  It is my belief that the right home for them is
the Distributed Management Working Group.

I submitted them as Cisco MIBs because what I'm submitting is what Cisco
has implemented and shipped.  It is not my intention to foist Cisco
products off as a standard but to submit for review and consideration as a
standard work that I had in mind for the IETF from its inception, but the
IETF working groups have been too busy.

I'd expect if we find reasonable changes necessary Cisco will move to the
resulting standard MIB.

In the Bulk File MIB document I noted that Cisco has submitted patent
applications relating to some of the technology in that MIB.  Should the
IETF wish to adopt the technology it is Cisco's intent to comply with the
usual IETF expectations regarding patents.

	Bob