Subject: Re: Comments DISMAN Framework

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:54:08 -0800 (PST)

Hi - 

> To: [email-masked]
> cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Subject: Comments DISMAN Framework
> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 13:03:50 +0100
> From: Bert-Jan van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
...
> I'm one of the six guys who raised its finger for
> providing you feedback on the DISMAN Framework.
> I know, I'm far too late with my comments.
> Nevertheless, I've seen no feedback on the framework
> in the mailing list so far, and so it might be useful for
> you to receive some comments anyway.
...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I thought I was going to have to
euthanize this work item.  If there's some discussion of the issues
you've raised, we'll be able to make a case for not canceling it.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           Email: [email-masked] http://www.bmc.com     
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 In accordance with the BMC Communications Systems Use and Security
 Policy, I explicitly state that although my affiliation with BMC may be
 apparent, implied, or provided, my opinions are not necessarily those
 of BMC Software and that all external representations on behalf of
 BMC must first be cleared with a member of "the top management team."
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 18:06:17 +0100

>>>>> Randy Presuhn writes:

Randy> Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I thought I was going to have
Randy> to euthanize this work item.  If there's some discussion of the
Randy> issues you've raised, we'll be able to make a case for not
Randy> canceling it.

I see little value in the framework. We are doing fine without it
(except that we are a bit late).
							Juergen
-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder  [email-masked] http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw
Technical University Braunschweig, Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany.        (Tel. +49 531 / 391 3289)

---

From: Aiko Pras <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 21:57:07 +0100

Juergen Schoenwaelder> I see little value in the framework.
Juergen Schoenwaelder> We are doing fine without it
Juergen Schoenwaelder> (except that we are a bit late).

Andrey Ter-Zakhariants> It looks like this group is way behind CMIP, TMN
etc. Andrey Ter-Zakhariants> inventing the wheel.

I'm affraid I agree with Juergen and Andrey. I've read the framework
carefully and discussed it with several people. My observation is that
it is a nice explanation of SOME concepts of DISMAN (although TMN and
research papers present more info), but it is absolutely not necessary
to read the framework if you want to understand the various MIBs (I've
read
all of them too).

In fact I found that the framework can even be confusing. While
discussing
DISMAN with guys from a Dutch network provider, I found that they
expected 
that each MIB would define one of the services of the framework. That's
clearly not the case, so they got confused.

Bye

Aiko Pras