Subject: Re: SNMP Bulk Data Transfer

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 11:27:30 -0800 (PST)

Hi - 

> Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 21:20:13 +0100
> From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: SNMP Bulk Data Transfer
> References:  <[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> >>>>> Randy Presuhn writes:
> 
> >> draft-stewart-bulk-file-mib-01.txt
> >> draft-stewart-ftp-client-mib-01.txt
> >> 
> >> Anyway that's what I called them.  I put them under my name as they
> >> have no working group home yet.  It is my belief that the right
> >> home for them is the Distributed Management Working Group.
> 
> Randy> Disman chair says:
> 
> Randy> I think you're right.
> 
> I think the bulk data transfer and latency problem needs a far more
> general solution. I am especially concerned that the FTP approach
> means to go back to `no security' or `incompatible security' (with all
> the interesting security parameter mapping problems). I prefer a more
> general solution within SNMP and I propose to solve the bulk data
> transfer problem within the SNMPv3 working group. (Some people are
> right now prototyping possible solutions. More details about this at
> the beginning of December.)
...

If the proposal were to modify SNMP protocol, it would clearly belong to
an SNMP working group.  I was addressing the proposals at hand, which
entail no protocol changes.  IF Bob's drafts were to be taken up by a
working group, disman would be a logical choice.  If the question were
the much more general "how can we extend the SNMP protocol to support
these requirements", that would be a different matter.

In any case, I'd still be very reluctant to take on such an item until
we cleared some other stuff of our plate.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           Email: [email-masked] http://www.bmc.com
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 In accordance with the BMC Communications Systems Use and Security
 Policy, I explicitly state that although my affiliation with BMC may be
 apparent, implied, or provided, my opinions are not necessarily those
 of BMC Software and that all external representations on behalf of
 BMC must first be cleared with a member of "the top management team."
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 00:21:14 +0100

>these requirements", that would be a different matter.

The real question is "How can we change the IETF-recommended management
framework so that bulk transfer can be done efficiently when it's needed?"

I have very little feeling that we know the answer.

                Harald

-- 
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
[email-masked]