Subject: Re: New Notification Log MIB Draft

From: Bob Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 12:30:17 -0500

At 12:10 PM 11/6/98 -0500, Martin Bjorklund wrote:
>> Since the number of bytes
>> taken by an entry can vary wildly depending on implementation
>> techniques
>
>Why is that a problem for a manager?

You answer that somewhat yourself below, when you point out that the
manager doesn't know how much space is available.  That measurement is
imprecise for entries and even worse for bytes.

>The problem I see is that the logs are not really isolated from each
>other.

This is the common dilemma of systems with shared resources, like, say, a
network with limited bandwidth.  :-)}

>Admittedly, there are practical problems with specifying the number of
>bytes too.  For example, how does the manager know how much available
>space there is?

This is indeed a problem in general.

>One solution could be to just add an object that holds the available
>space.  This should be a total of available space for all logs.  An
>implementation could choose to partition the space for different log
>types.

That assumes an implementation knows how much space there is.  In my
experience they quite often don't.

	Bob