Subject: IP6 support in draft-ietf-disman-notif-log-mib-09.txt

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:42:39 -0800 (PST)

A question has come up that you may know the answer to. How does
draft-ietf-disman-notif-log-mib-09.txt address IP6 environments?
Specifically what recommendations do you have for supporting IP6?

---

From: Bob Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 15:02:22 -0500

>Specifically what recommendations do you have for supporting IP6?

This one is easy for the Notification Log MIB.  It has no direct references
to or dependencies on any version of IP.  It works with any SNMP data type
without caring any more than that about the data.

	Bob

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 21:57:51 -0800

>without caring any more than that about the data.

Again, I thought it contained an IpAddress?

---

From: Bob Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 08:32:47 -0500

>Again, I thought it contained an IpAddress?

Again, that's only because IpAddress is a primitive syntax and the log must
recognize it as such to record it.  If IP6 addresses ever become an SNMP
data type, it's a simple matter to add to the enumeration and the
syntax-based objects in the MIB.

	Bob