Subject: Re: notification throttling

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:26:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

Thanks for the summary.  I have one comment on the recommendations,
which might end up in the open issues section.

> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 06:33:45 +0000
> From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Subject: notification throttling
...
> Recommendation:
> 
> No generic, high-level (SNM) throttling mechanisms are needed.  
> However, for each notification defined in a standard MIB, the 
> developers should consider the likely usage scenario(s).
>   - if it is likely a large burst of notifications can ever be 
>     generated by the notification instrumentation, the MIB
>     SHOULD limit the NOTIFICATION-TYPE to M events every N seconds.
>   - if it is possible a large burst of notifications can ever be 
>     generated by the notification instrumentation, the MIB
>     MAY limit the NOTIFICATION-TYPE to M events every N seconds.
>   - otherwise no mention of notification throttling is needed.
...

The recommendations assume that there is some part of the MIB
implementation that knows about all notification generation for that
MIB from that system.  For some MIBs, e.g., the application MIB or
the RDBMS MIB, a typical implementation handles only a subset of the
rows in the tables, with the "whole MIB" being the synthesis visible
through a master agent.  If MIBs like these define notifications, there
is currently no standardized way of coordinating notification generation
among the processes.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]     http://www.bmc.com
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's is coincidental.
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------