Subject: Re: <draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-03.txt>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:07:48 -0500

Bob,

>>I think it would be useful to define a notification in the
>>ping MIB to report when a ping fails. Should the notification be sent
>>every time a probe fails?

>No.  It should be sent when the test is complete, that is, when all
message
>exchanges have either succeeded or failed.

I agree that sending a notification every time may not good. I don't think
you
always want to wait. Let's say you create an pingEntry to ping a host every
15
minutes to insure that a path exists. An operator would want to know when
ping fails so that they could either investigate the problem or have the
notification kickoff some automation code that attempts to fix the problem.
Since the test may be defined to never end how does the operator get
notified?

Ken

---

From: Bob Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:25:13 -0500

>Since the test may be defined to never end how does the operator get

Sounds like you have an enumeration for notification:  none, probeFail,
testFail, and completion.

	Bob