Subject: SNMP V2-V3 coexistance

From: "Shobana Sundaram" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:20:37 -0500

Assume  that a device is managed by two management applications
     through
     SNMP at the same time.
     One application wants to talk with device using SNMPv3. Does
     another
     management
     application have a choice to use SNMPv2 or SNMPv3 for the same
     MIBs? If
     another management application uses SNMPv2 to talk with the
     device,
     will it l compromise the security achieved by SNMPv3 used by the

     previous management application

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:56:03 +0100

[Please turn off your HTML!]

>>>>> Shobana Sundaram writes:

Shobana> Assume that a device is managed by two management
Shobana> applications through SNMP at the same time.  One application
Shobana> wants to talk with device using SNMPv3. Does another
Shobana> management application have a choice to use SNMPv2 or SNMPv3
Shobana> for the same MIBs?

Yes - assuming you have a multilingual agent and that the agent is
configured to give access to MIB objects via SNMPv2c or SNMPv1.

Shobana> If another management application uses SNMPv2 to talk with
Shobana> the device, will it l compromise the security achieved by
Shobana> SNMPv3 used by the previous management application

Depends on your network topology, the access control configuration of
the agent(s) and the security requirements you have. In a sensitive
environment, you probably want to turn unauthenticated access off.

In other words, the security administrator can exercise complete
control over what is allowed and what is forbidden.
							Juergen
-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder  [email-masked] http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw
Technical University Braunschweig, Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany.        (Tel. +49 531 / 391 3289)