Subject: REMOPS MIB Indexing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 14:32:28 -0500

During the working group meeting at the IETF this week Randy brought up a
restriction with the current ping and traceroute MIBs table indexing.
Essentially, an entry is indexed by ownerIndex (SnmpAdminString) and a
destination hostAddress. The current table indexing does not allow the same
ownerIndex to have more than one outstanding request per destination
address. The proposed solution was to add an integer testId element to the
indexing. We also discussed just using ownerIndex and indexId. A show of
hands resulted in just adding testId and leaving the destination address
in.

I actually voted for this at the time, but would like to change my vote for
just using ownerIndex and testId. After the meeting I was discussing this
with a few folks and realized that leaving the destination address in
limits the size of a symbolic name as an destination address to whatever
portion of the 128 octet instance ID maximum that would be available. Does
anyone object to using just ownerIndex and testId for the indexing?

Ken

---

From: "Carl W. Kalbfleisch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 08:58:40 -0600

> anyone object to using just ownerIndex and testId for the indexing?

I agree with this proposal.

Carl

--
Carl W. Kalbfleisch
Manager NMS Development
Verio Inc., http://www.verio.net

---

From: Harmen van der Linde <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:57:44 -0500

Ken,

>anyone object to using just ownerIndex and testId for the indexing?

Could you elaborate how a value for the test ID is generated? 
(Forgive me for asking; I wasn't at the meeting).

Harmen

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harmen van der Linde
Advanced Internetworking Services  Voice: (732) 758-4129
Bellcore, NVC 2X-119                 Fax: (732) 758-2269
331 Newman Springs Road            Email: [email-masked]          
Red Bank, NJ 07710                        [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------------