Subject: IP6 support in draft-ietf-disman-express-mib-07.txt

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:42:42 -0800 (PST)

A question has come up that you may know the answer to. How does
draft-ietf-disman-express-mib-07.txt address IP6 environments?
Specifically what recommendations do you have for supporting IP6?

---

From: Bob Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 15:03:40 -0500

>Specifically what recommendations do you have for supporting IP6?

The Expression MIB doesn't have any direct references to any particular
version of IP and works with the standard, raw SNMP data types, so it has
no IP6 issues that won't be resolved elsewhere.

	Bob

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 21:57:16 -0800

>no IP6 issues that won't be resolved elsewhere.

Hmm. I could vhave sworn I saw an IpAddress in it...

---

From: Bob Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 08:30:40 -0500

>Hmm. I could vhave sworn I saw an IpAddress in it...

That's only as a data type it must recognize explicitly because it's a
primitive in SNMP.  Since IP6 isn't in that same boat that requirement
doesn't apply.  As far as the Expression MIB is concerned, IP6 addresses
are just another OCTET STRING.

	Bob