Subject: Re: FW: Minneapolis Meeting Minutes - DRAFT

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:38:45 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

> Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 15:41:57 +0100
> From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: FW: Minneapolis Meeting Minutes - DRAFT
> References:  <[email-masked]>
...
> Since when does the Expression MIB do pings? (I guess its time to read
> the latest version now and to send in last call comments...)
...

Several issues that seem to have been conflated here.
My recollection was that we were talking about:

    1) the desire to be able to do delay distribution analysis on
       the results of series of pings, without having to transfer
       the data for each individual ping;

    2) the question about whether it would be feasible and practical
       to generalize such statistical tools (like metric objects or
       summarizers);

    3) off-hand comments that one might try to use an implementation
       of the expression MIB to accomplish this;

    4) the observation that the VACM configuration to get something
       like this to work correctly and safely is fairly intricate;

    5) the observation that the current formulation of the ping mib
       meant that no matter how many users belonged to a group, only
       one of them could be running a ping on a particular address
       at any point in time;

    6) the observation that retaining the target address in the 
       indexing of the ping mib would allow a security administrator
       to limit the ranges of addresses that a given group of users
       was permitted to ping.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]     http://www.bmc.com
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's is coincidental.
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------