Subject: Re: New Internet Draft - draft-ietf-disman-notif-log-mib-08.txt

From: Bob Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 09:05:56 -0500

At 04:27 PM 1/28/99 +0100, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
>Since there is enough water between your dog and me, I will ignore the
>warning and send in the stuff I found during my review. ;-)

Mastiffs have long memories, and so do I.  One day you'll be in reach.

There are a couple out-of-date pictures of him at:

	http://www.employees.org/~bstewart/Text/gryphon.html

He's bigger now.  He's the one that doesn't look like a fuzzy beach ball in
black shorts.

>Typo: Insert another 9.

Fixed.

>Typo: implemenetation

Fixed.

>I am not sure if this works. The snmpNotifyFilterTable entries shown
>above are fine for checking the notification name, but fail to check
>the object instance's OBJECT IDENTIFIERs.

I was concerned about this when creating the example so I checked with
David Levi.  I ask the same question (among others) and what I have is
based on his answer.  So assuming I understood him correctly, he and I
believe I've got it right.

>:     ::= { experimental xx }
>
>I think this is more a question to Bert: Where will this MIB module be
>registered?  Does it go below snmpModules because we believe this
>belongs to the SNMP framework or is it going to end up below mib-2?

I believe this is framework and belongs in a similar place to the
notification-related MIBs in the Applications document.

>I am concerned about the last sentence. I think it implies that I can
>only use this MIB if I also have an implementation of the
>snmpNotifyFilterTable. What about changing the semantics so that a
>zero-length value implies that no filtering is to be done? This would
>allow a simple implementation of this MIB which does not do filtering
>at all.

Implication correct.  I put the default as it is on purpose.  I don't want
an incomplete, inexplicit entry to open the floodgate of notification
logging.  I want it to default to closed.

>Typo: lengh

Fixed.

>Typo: sysUptime

Fixed.

>Typo: Unusal indentation.

Fixed.

>Bump the year to 1999.

Fixed.

	Bob