Subject: Re: Script MIB implementation question

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 11:28:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Script MIB implementation question 
> Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 10:08:58 +0200
> From: Eamonn McManus <[email-masked]>
...
> Although the tu-bs implementation and ours both support Java programs
> as scripts, the same script cannot run on both because we use
> different conventions for startup.  The Java VM we're using doesn't
> support reflection so we couldn't have execution start at a static
> method.
...

Does this mean that, for purposes of this MIB, that these would have
to be considered different scripting languages?  If not, how would
a management system be able to know what's going on?

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]     http://www.bmc.com
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's is coincidental.
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 19:39:11 +0200

>>>>> Randy Presuhn writes:

Randy> Does this mean that, for purposes of this MIB, that these would
Randy> have to be considered different scripting languages?  If not,
Randy> how would a management system be able to know what's going on?

I do not think so. I think these differences can actually be handled
by defining appropriate language extension. Sure, it would be nice at
some point in time to agree on calling conventions etc. for well known
languages. But I think its best to first get implementations running
before we try to figure out common calling conventions for languages.

							Juergen
-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder  [email-masked] http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw
Technical University Braunschweig, Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany.        (Tel. +49 531 / 391 3289)