Subject: Re: <draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-04.txt>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:06:42 -0400 (EDT)

>>     traceRouteCtlProbesPerHop
>
>The current range is 1 to 10. I would prefer leaving the range in but can be
>convinced otherwise. I think its reasonable to limit the number of probes per
>TTL value but won't argue to the death. Why would you want more than 10?
>Less than 1 doesn't make sense.

I can align with 10.  No problems for me.  I have no clue why someone
would want more than 10.  I'm mildly uncomfortable with providing an
artificial limit..  I fear that as sure as an artificial limit is 
imposed on this, someone will want 11 or more.

>I agree with your statements concerning what information would have to be
>kept at the agent with respect to the traceRoutePathChange notification.
>The usefulness of the table is proportional to how static the path is. My
>guess would be that in most environments the path would not change that
>frequently.  Unfortunately, I think this would reflect a major enhancement

I believe you're right about the path being static, but I believe the
hop delays can change drastically when network problems arise.  It's
really the response time numbers in the hop table that add network
diagnostic utility, not the list of hops. 

Again drawing on my history as a network analyst, I suspect the capability
of automatically measuring path delays is something that many network 
analysts either desire to do or have written shell scripts to do.  The 
issue is whether or not the DISMAN-TRACEROUTE-MIB is going to provide a 
standards- based way of doing what (I believe) people already are doing 
with proprietary solutions.

Regards,
--Alan
 
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Alan Luchuk       SNMP Research, Inc.                 Voice:  +1 423 573 1434
 Software Engineer 3001 Kimberlin Heights Road         FAX:    +1 423 573 9197
 [email-masked]   Knoxville, TN  37920-9716  U.S.A.   http://www.int.snmp.com/
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------