Subject: Re: <draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-04.txt>

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 15:47:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

(Sorry for the delay - my daytime job is eating up all my cycles and more)

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 04:00:28 -0400
> Subject: Re: <draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-04.txt>
...
> >What I'd really like to see is thresholding (or, even better, auto-
> >thresholding) so that when traceroute response during a periodic poll
> >gets sluggish, a notification will be sent that pinpoints the hops at
> >each end of the sluggish link.  Then I could (manually) do a DNS lookup
> >on these IP addresses and call my ISP and tell them where to look for
> >the problem.  But the thresholding and notification is probably better
> >implemented with the expression MIB.
> 
> I agree with your statements concerning what information would have to be
> kept at the agent with respect to the traceRoutePathChange notification.
> The usefulness of the table is proportional to how static the path is. My
> guess would be that in most environments the path would not change that
> frequently.  Unfortunately, I think this would reflect a major enhancement
> to the MIB.  At the last working group meeting we where told by our area
> director to finish the MIBs and stop making major changes. I can add the
> table some what quickly but before doing so would like to see what Randy
> says.

Let's keep it simple and get this thing finished.  Of course, folks
are free to experiment with more elaborate approaches, and I'd welcome
reports of the results of their experiments.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]     http://www.bmc.com
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's is coincidental.
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------