Subject: Re: Tentative disman slot

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 09:01:24 +0200

>>>>> Eamonn McManus writes:

>> o Restartable scripts

Eamonn> I'm not sure what this means.  Did you mean scripts that are
Eamonn> run automatically on device startup?  If not, that needs to be
Eamonn> added to the list.

This is what I had in mind.

>> o Error message during script compilation (smScriptError)

Eamonn> I'd just nitpick a little and say that the error message is
Eamonn> broader than just compilation.  The example I mentioned is if
Eamonn> a script is digitally signed and the signature verification
Eamonn> fails.  That's not covered very well by the existing error
Eamonn> codes but it's not necessarily practical to add new error
Eamonn> codes for every new eventuality like this that comes up.
Eamonn> Having an error string as well is more flexible, if not very
Eamonn> easy for automated managers to exploit.

Yes. I just tried to be short. ;-)

>> o Index smLangTable and smScriptTable by name rather than Integer32

Eamonn> Isn't it just smLangTable that needs to be so indexed?
Eamonn> smScriptTable is already indexed by owner and name strings,
Eamonn> though it currently contains a column that is a numeric index
Eamonn> into smLangTable.

I meant smLangTable and smExtsnTable.

Eamonn> A couple of additional areas that might be of interest:

Eamonn> - Dependencies between scripts.

So far, this has not been a problem for us. I am not sure we need to
handle script dependencies in the Script MIB. But I will add this to
my list of open issues.

Eamonn> - Script versioning.

I added this one to my list too. One problem with this might be to get
access to a suitable version number. If you load the script from a
URL, how do you get access to the version number? If such a version
number is only written by the manager, how can you be sure that the
version number matches the installed script?

							Juergen
-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder  [email-masked] http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw
Technical University Braunschweig, Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany.        (Tel. +49 531 / 391 3289)