Subject: Change of Life

From: Bob Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 11:35:22 -0400

It's time I told the SNMP community what I'm up to, since this community
has been a major part of my life for the last several years.

I'm finishing my three MIB drafts for the Distributed Management working
group and intend to see them to Proposed Standard but I'm in the process of
retiring from high tech.

Yup, I'm leaving Cisco, but not just Cisco and not in any frustration or
bitterness.  Cisco has been good to and for me.  I'm also leaving the IETF
and the industry.  I've been at this for over 30 years and I'm tired.  I've
had some success and left a mark, but my job and career are not my life.

I'd intended to be out at the end of this month, but agreed to stay on at
Cisco through August or September to do some MIB design work.  So my
leaving is not immediate.  Neither was it a quick decision.  The seeds go
back a few years to realizing just how much Cisco stock options can be
worth.  :-)}

I intend to spend my time on those things people wish could make them a
living but rarely do:  writing (medieval fantasy and poetry), playing and
composing music, art, photography, acting and such.  I'll remain an
Internet-connected computer user and will most likely find my way back to
some fun programming again eventually.

I've already unsubscribed from the IETF mailing lists other than for
DisMan.  I waffled about disclosing my new non-Cisco email address in a
public forum for the spammers to find, but I'm just not good at being
secretive.  It will leak out anyway as I begin using it.  So for the first
time publically, it's [email-masked].

So long, and thanks for all the fine dinners.

	Bob