Subject: New REMOPS PING MIB Object

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 02:02:48 -0400

In order to address the comments with respect to the new pingCtlTos object
I have renamed the object to pingCtlDSField and have also rename
traceRouteCtlTos to traceRouteCtlDSField. A reference has been added
for RFC 2474. The object isb now defined as:

    pingCtlDSField OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Unsigned32 (0..255)
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Specifies the value to store in the Differentiated
        Services (DS) Field in the IP packet used to
        encapsulate the ping probe.  The DS Field is defined
        as the Type of Service (TOS) octet in a IPv4 header
        or as the Traffic Class octet in a IPv6 header.

        The value of this object must be a decimal integer
        in the range from 0 to 255.  This option can be used
        to determine what effect an explicit DS Field setting
        has on a ping response.  Not all values are legal or
        meaningful.  DS Field usage is often not supported
        by IP implementations.  Useful TOS octet values are
        probably '16' (low delay) and '8' ( high throughput)."
    REFERENCE
        "Refer to RFC 2474 for the definition of the
        Differentiated Services Field and to RFC 1812
        Section 5.3.2 for Type of Service (TOS)."
    DEFVAL { 0 }
    ::= { pingCtlEntry 20 }

The text for traceRouteCtlDSField is similar to the above.

Ken