Subject: Re: disman issue REMOPS-1

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 04:56:06 -0400

Dave,

> > ICMP Echo Request packets MUST NOT be used.  Many PC implementations do
> > it incorrectly, which, in turn, causes intermediate hops to be invisible
> >   ^^
> > What is "it"?  It would be nice to elaborate on this in the text.

>> It is using ICMP Echo Request packets (probes) to determine a traceroute
path.

>Ok, so if you're saying that Many PC implementations use ICMP probes
>incorrectly to determine a path, then I would say that "PC"s don't
>use probes to determine the path, the traceroute program does,
>so you should say
>"Many PC implementations of traceroute ..."
>since it's not an OS issue if it's problems with the way they "use" the
>probes, and I don't see how that would affect a new implementation for a MIB.

>On the other hand, if you mean the OS stack has bugs, then I think
>your definition of "it" above needs to be clarified.

I have added "of traceroute" to the text.

Ken