Subject: Re: Disman issue Event-07

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:26:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

Proposed resolution for Disman issue Event-07:

> Page 17:
> 
> > DEFVAL { 600 }
> >     ::= { mteTriggerEntry 11 }
> 
> This comment exposes a bias I have which is that I imagine this mib in
> many cases being implemented on a system rather than an NMS.  As a
> result, I  think a defval of something smaller say 300 would be more
> helpful.

Since this is a read-create object, the current DEFVAL tied to the
maximum minimum (via the mteResourceSampleMinimum control object)
seems reasonable.  A smaller DEFVAL would lead to paradoxes, so
I think it makes sense to leave this value as it is.

There's another nit in this same object DESCRIPTION, where it says:
"Systems that can support this should document those cases where it can
be used.  In cases where it can not, setting this object to 0 simply
returns a bad value error."  As long as "bad value" is not misinterpreted
as "badValue", its ok, but we need to be clear that we're not requiring an
SNMPv2c or SNMPv3 entity to generate the SNMPv1 error code in this case.
(No change needed, unless "badValue" was intended.)

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]     http://www.bmc.com/
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's is probably coincidental.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jon Saperia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:57:17 -0400

> I think it makes sense to leave this value as it is.

No matter what the defval, there is a problem of oversampling - perhaps
some words could be added to help with that.  For many things today, 300
seconds is an eternity.  As I said this is not a big deal for me since
when the row is created the nms can set up the sample period parameters
it wants.
/jon