Subject: RE: Disman issue Event-02

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 10:36:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:58:06 -0400
> From: Rob Frye <[email-masked]>
> Subject: RE: Disman issue Event-02
> To: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
...
> While I would like to see Counter64 extended into Disman in some fashion
> that is SNMP/SMI version independent, I do not think it is practical.
> I therefore suggest a "health warning" about using SMIv1 w/Disman.
> Besides, we want to push the use of new stuff, including SMIv2, rather
> than extending new capabilities "backwards".
...

There are three issues here.  One is about conversions to SMIv1.  I really
don't care about that one; there are boilerplate health warnings for that.
The second is providing "equivalent access".  That's been solved many
times before.  The one I DO care about is the ability to meaningfully
monitor 64-bit objects, but am not going to push this point of view onto
the WG.

I think <draft-kzm-hcdata-types-00.txt> codifies existing practice for
dealing with the need for 64-bit non-counters.  The question before us
as a WG is whether we deal with the problem now or in six months, when
we'll probably end up trying to figure out how to add 64-bit support to
this MIB.  I'll start with the straw position of recommending that we
get it out now, knowing that we'd have to do some rework at that time.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]     http://www.bmc.com/
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's is probably coincidental.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Rob Frye <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:30:30 -0400

Randy Presuhn said:
> The question before us

> > I therefore suggest a "health warning" about using SMIv1 w/Disman.
I think if we know we would have to do some rework, it means we really
know the MIB is broken now.  We should (*sigh*) bite the bullet and
put in the proper support in the MIB now before going to RFC with it.

-- Rob.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Frye ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sr. Network Management Architect   Email:         [email-masked]
MCI WorldCom                       Phone: +1-703-715-7225/V272-7225
2100 Reston Parkway, Suite 600     Fax:   +1-703-715-7436/V272-7436
Reston, VA  20191                  Pager:           +1-888-270-1537
~~~~~~~~~ Standards are great, everyone should have one! ~~~~~~~~~~