Subject: Re: Disman issue Event-05

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:11:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

Proposed resolution for Disman issue Event-05:

> > Error handling is by notification, which at first thought violates the
> > principle that notifications may be lost or become a crippling burden,
> > but the intent is that such error notifications be enabled only for the
> > diagnosis of problems indicated by error counters and if the
> > notifications are being lost they be directed to the log as described in
> > the Notification Log MIB [rfcNotificationLogMIB].  Note that this does
> 
> Do we want to suggest use of INFORMS?
 
Since the term "notification" covers both traps and informs (as well as
stuff ending up in log records) I think we do not need to explicitly
mention informs.  I'd suggest this somewhat longer replacement:

  Error handling is by notification.  This may appear to violate the
  principle that notifications are to be avoided since they may be lost or
  become burdensome.  These error notifications should be enabled only for
  the diagnosis of problems indicated by error counters.  Furthermore,
  if notifications loss is a concern they should be directed to a log
  as described in the Notification Log MIB [rfcNotificationLogMIB].
  Note that this does

Comments?

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]     http://www.bmc.com/
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's is probably coincidental.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jon Saperia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:59:50 -0400

>   as described in the Notification Log MIB [rfcNotificationLogMIB].
yes, There is an important relevant distinction between TRAPS and
INFORMS here and I think we should point out that INFORMS may be of
greater utility.

/jon