Subject: Oslo DISMAN minutes

From: Rob Frye <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 16:36:51 -0400

Oslo, Norway, July 14, 1999
Chair: Randy Presuhn
Reported by: Rob Frye
Charter: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/disman-charter.html

Agenda:
1. Administrative matters
2. Status of Current Internet-Drafts
3. Implementation & Interoperability Experience
4. Issues with current Drafts and RFCs
5. Strategy for Updates to RFCs
6. Time allotted for Technical Presentations (none)
7. Wrap-up

The DISMAN working group met from 09:00 to 11:30 on 1999-07-14
at the 45th IETF meeting in Oslo, Norway. Rob Frye recorded the meeting
minutes.  Approximately 75 people attended the meeting.  Signup sheets were
distributed, and no agenda changes were proposed.  Several people indicated
they had read one or more of the relevant drafts.

There are currently 4 Internet Drafts.  Of these, 3 drafts are in working
group last call: Event MIB (draft-ietf-disman-event-mib-07.txt),
Distributed Management Expression MIB
(draft-ietf-disman-express-mib-09.txt),
and Notification Log MIB (draft-ietf-disman-notif-log-mib-10.txt).
These are expected to be forwarded to the Operations and Management AD
the week of July 19.  The 9 open issues for the other Draft, "Definitions of
Managed Objects for Remote Ping, Traceroute, and Lookup Operations Using
SMIv2" ("Remops", draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-05.txt) were discussed,
arriving at consensus for most of the issues.  Issues 1 & 3 were skipped
over
as being duplicated with other issues, and issues 5-9 were already
closed.  Issue 2 regarding the use of Traceroute and ICMP Echo pings
was discussed with no final conclusion, to be further discussed on the
list, and issue 4 discussion regarding the use of DNS names reached the
conclusion that no change was needed to the drafts.

Randy Presuhn will update the issues list, and a new version of the draft
will be circulated by Ken White for WG last-call comments approximately
August 2, with plans to provide to the AD and IESG about August 9.

One technical question was raised as to whether or not Remops
could suggest the use of settings of the TOS byte in traceroute packets.
A "pingCtlTos" definition for this option has been submitted to the mailing
list and will be discussed on the list.  Another question was raised
about the use of a C-language struct ("hostent" in section 3.3.3) which
is used as example to explain the workings of the lookupResultsTable; no
change is planned as a result of the discussion.

Implementation and interoperability experiences were discussed.  Some
WG members have had experience with the Schedule MIB (RFC 2591) and Script
MIB (RFC 2592) although some interoperation experience is still needed to
advance the RFCs.  No experience was noted about RFC 2593 (Script MIB
Extensibility).  There was no strong consensus about advancing the Schedule
MIB, and it was agreed that the Script MIB needed further work to define
auto-start, restartable and always-running scripts, and resolve
integer-versus-name index issues for the smLangTable, smExtnTable and
smScriptTable tables.  Auto-start and restartable options discussed were:
1. find or define a bit in smLaunchTable to define autostart
2. bind script startup to boot event (receipt of event notification),
   possibly generalizing with a new MIB to bind script startups to any
defined
   SNMP event
3. unify all event sources in a generic event binding MIB, where event
sources
   may be triggers, schedulers, notifications, etc. -- it was agreed
   that the current Script MIB does not have the mechanisms to define
   such triggers.
These and any other issues are to be futher investigated on the WG list.

-- Rob.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Frye ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sr. Network Management Architect   Email:         [email-masked]
MCI WorldCom                       Phone: +1-703-715-7225/V272-7225
2100 Reston Parkway, Suite 600     Fax:   +1-703-715-7436/V272-7436
Reston, VA  20191                  Pager:           +1-888-270-1537
~~~~~~~~~ Standards are great, everyone should have one! ~~~~~~~~~~