Subject: Re: Disman issue Event-02

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:53:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

Regarding Disman issue Event-02:

> I would put in a cautionary note about the conversion to SMIv1 that is
> pon page 2.  The objects in large systems are increasingly 64bit
> counters.  A 32 bit counter for much of the work that I do day to day
> and to which this MIB might be meaningfully applied would be of no value.

(I think the note in question is on page 3, rather than page 2.)
There are a couple of ways to deal with the lack of Counter64 support.

    1) put a "health warning" on the document
    2) add explicit support for Counter64

I agree that the issue is significant, and as WG chair would like to
hear opinions from the working group on which of these paths (or other
possible alternatives) we should take.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]     http://www.bmc.com/
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's is probably coincidental.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Rob Frye <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:58:06 -0400

> possible alternatives) we should take.

While I would like to see Counter64 extended into Disman in some fashion
that is SNMP/SMI version independent, I do not think it is practical.
I therefore suggest a "health warning" about using SMIv1 w/Disman.
Besides, we want to push the use of new stuff, including SMIv2, rather
than extending new capabilities "backwards".

-- Rob.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Frye ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sr. Network Management Architect   Email:         [email-masked]
MCI WorldCom                       Phone: +1-703-715-7225/V272-7225
2100 Reston Parkway, Suite 600     Fax:   +1-703-715-7436/V272-7436
Reston, VA  20191                  Pager:           +1-888-270-1537
~~~~~~~~~ Standards are great, everyone should have one! ~~~~~~~~~~