Subject: Need help with snmp/tcl

From: Mauricio Trezub <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 10:23:15 -0300

Helo,

	I am working with the scriptMIB and was wondering if someone could
help me figure out how to work with the snmpAdminString object in tcl, it
looked to me like it was a normal OCTECT STRING but I simply cant set it. 
	A second question: how does the RowStatus object work and what is it
for?
  	Is there any literature I can read about these two topics?

Apreciate any help.

Mauricio Trezub

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:07:02 +0200

>>>>> Mauricio Trezub writes:

Mauricio> I am working with the scriptMIB and was wondering if
Mauricio> someone could help me figure out how to work with the
Mauricio> snmpAdminString object in tcl, it looked to me like it was a
Mauricio> normal OCTECT STRING but I simply cant set it.

SnmpAdminString is defined in RFC 2571 (SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB) and indeed
derived from the OCTECT STRING SMIv2 base type. With regard to Tcl,
the handling probably depends on which Tcl SNMP extension you use.
I suggest to ask the vendor/author of the toolkit for help.

Mauricio> A second question: how does the RowStatus object work and
Mauricio> what is it for?  Is there any literature I can read about
Mauricio> these two topics?

RowStatus is defined in RFC 2579 (SNMPv2-TC). The description clause
contains a lengthy (probably too detailed for beginners) description
on how it works. I think you will also find reasonable RowStatus
descriptions in newer books on SNMP. 

Anyway, to answer your question, RowStatus is basically a mechanism to
add or remove rows from conceptual tables.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>