Subject: draft questions

From: "Moshe Rozenblit" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 15:04:40 -0400

I am a newcomer to the disman discussion, so my appologies for asking some naive
questions:

1. what is the timetable (or some guesses) for getting the disman drafts
approved as ietf standards?
2. are there any demos of any of the disman drafts? any hints or guesses as to
when they may appear in commercial products?
3. in the disman expression draft I found the example for line utilization most
illuminating. It also raises some concerns: some network managers may not be
able to create such new expressions on the fly in response to stressed network
conditions. Has there been any investigation for GUIs or some other
user-friendly interface to help network managers who are not SMIv2 experts?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Moshe Rozenblit
Telcordia Technologies
+1 212 369 4891

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 15:18:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

> From: "Moshe Rozenblit" <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> cc: "Timothy M. Bauman" <[email-masked]>,
>         "Lakshmi Raman" <[email-masked]>,
>         "Jane Fox" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 15:04:40 -0400
> Subject: draft questions
...
> approved as ietf standards?

see http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/disman-charter.html
for the status / plan for the various work items.  It's
accurate to within a few months as far as I know.

> when they may appear in commercial products?

There are several implementations of RFC 2592,
There is at least one implementation of RFC 2591.
Both of these are in commercial products.
Take a look at the WG archives for more information.

> user-friendly interface to help network managers who are not SMIv2 experts?
...

That's way outside our charter.  Others may be able to comment on their
work in this area.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]     http://www.bmc.com/
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's is probably coincidental.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------