Subject: Re: Comments on notification-log MIB

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:07:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

As working group chair, I believe we have a rough consensus to change
the name to DISMAN-NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB.  Ram should make the appropriate
changes to the draft.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]     http://www.bmc.com/
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's is probably coincidental.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Date: Wed, 13 Oct 99 15:48:41 DST
> From: "Bert Wijnen" <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Comments on notification-log MIB
> List-Id: IETF disman Working Group mailing list <[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> Ref:  Your note of Thu, 7 Oct 1999 09:23:54 -0700 (PDT)
> 
> Subject: Re:   Comments on notification-log MIB
> 
> So, the curent name is NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB, basically because Bob
> wanted to stick to that name.
> 
> Randy prefers (as technical contributer) DISMAN-NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB
> Juergen prefers SNMP-NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB
> 
> Personally (as WG member) I tend to agree with Juergen.
> 
> Can I ask Randy to try and get a consensus on this topic?
> 
> Thanks, Bert

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]     http://www.bmc.com/
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's is probably coincidental.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 19:25:44 +0200

>>>>> Randy Presuhn writes:

Randy> As working group chair, I believe we have a rough consensus to
Randy> change the name to DISMAN-NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB.  Ram should
Randy> make the appropriate changes to the draft.

The MIB in question is actually closely related to the notification
filtering stuff in the SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB. We also decided to
follow the indexing scheme used by the SNMP core MIBs here since there
was an argument that this really belongs to the SNMP core
infrastructure and that it is not particularly a _distributed_
management thing.

I will certainly not object against DISMAN-NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB, but I
think that there is some truth in Bob's argument that this MIB really
belongs to SNMP core infrastructure and that it is likely that this
MIB goes into devices that have absolutely no intention to do
distributed management.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>

---

From: Sandra Durham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:53:46 -0700

>MIB goes into devices that have absolutely no intention to do

As a potential implementor of said mib, i'd agree w/ Juregen - my use is purely a core snmp feature.

Sandra Durham
cisco systems

---

From: Ramanathan Kavasseri <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 11:05:22 -0700

Apologies for my silence to all the comments on the MIBs I was to take over from Bob. Here's my first stab...

>MIB goes into devices that have absolutely no intention to do

I agree that this device will likely go into devices that have no intention to do distributed management, and so naming it DISMAN-NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB may be misleading. On the other hand, even though it's designed to work with the SNMP core infrastructure (esp. the notification filtering table in the SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB), it's not a "core SNMP MIB", the absence of which would render an SNMP agent implementation non-compliant.

Hence I'd prefer to leave the name as is.

Ram

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 18:27:58 +0200

>>>>> Ramanathan Kavasseri writes:

Ramanathan> I agree that this device will likely go into devices that
Ramanathan> have no intention to do distributed management, and so
Ramanathan> naming it DISMAN-NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB may be
Ramanathan> misleading. On the other hand, even though it's designed
Ramanathan> to work with the SNMP core infrastructure (esp. the
Ramanathan> notification filtering table in the
Ramanathan> SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB), it's not a "core SNMP MIB", the
Ramanathan> absence of which would render an SNMP agent implementation
Ramanathan> non-compliant.

The prefix in a MIB module name does not have any impact on
compliance.

/js

---

From: Ramanathan Kavasseri <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 15:27:33 -0700

>The prefix in a MIB module name does not have any impact on

I meant the SNMP prefix might imply it's a core SNMP MIB, which it isn't.

Didn't mean to suggest any link between compliance and mib-modue name - that would be wrong.

Ram