Subject: Updated version of draft-ietf-notif-log-mib-17.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:53:16 -0700 (PDT)

As Juergen suggested, I've changed nlmLogEngineAddress and
nlmLogEngineAddressType to "nlmLogEngineTAddress" and
"nlmLogEngineTDomain" respectively. All occurrences
of the above names were corrected in the draft.

Please review the new draft, which is included below.

As per Bert and Randy's request, I won't submit this draft to
[email-masked] until I get the ok to do so.

Note that the draft contains the bogus name:
"draft-ietf-disman-notif-log-mib-17-edited-ver2.txt"

This will be corrected to
"draft-ietf-disman-notif-log-mib-18.txt" when I submit
the final version to [email-masked] - until then, I need the
bogus name to keep track of the revisions that were submitted
to disman...

Thanks,

Ram

Network Working Group                           Editor of this version:
Internet-Draft                                  Ramanathan R. Kavasseri
Expires March 2001                                  Cisco Systems, Inc.
                                            Author of previous version:
                                                            Bob Stewart
                                                      26 September 2000

                          Notification Log MIB

           draft-ietf-disman-notif-log-mib-17-edited-ver2.txt

                          Status of this Memo

This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with all
provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering Task
Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that other groups
may also distribute working documents as Internet-Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet- Drafts as reference material
or to cite them other than as ``work in progress.''

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

Distribution of this document is unlimited. Please send comments to the
Distributed Management Working Group, <[email-masked]>.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2000).  All Rights Reserved.



Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

1.  Abstract

This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB) for
use with network management protocols in the Internet community.  In
particular, it describes managed objects used for logging SNMP
Notifications.

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.

2.  The SNMP Management Framework

   The SNMP Management Framework presently consists of five major
   components:

    o   An overall architecture, described in RFC 2571 [RFC2571].

    o   Mechanisms for describing and naming objects and events for the
        purpose of management. The first version of this Structure of
        Management Information (SMI) is called SMIv1 and described in
        STD 16, RFC 1155 [RFC1155], STD 16, RFC 1212 [RFC1212] and RFC
        1215 [RFC1215]. The second version, called SMIv2, is described
        in STD 58, RFC 2578 [RFC2578], RFC 2579 [RFC2579] and RFC 2580
        [RFC2580].

    o   Message protocols for transferring management information. The
        first version of the SNMP message protocol is called SNMPv1 and
        described in STD 15, RFC 1157 [RFC1157]. A second version of the
        SNMP message protocol, which is not an Internet standards track
        protocol, is called SNMPv2c and described in RFC 1901 [RFC1901]
        and RFC 1906 [RFC1906]. The third version of the message
        protocol is called SNMPv3 and described in RFC 1906 [RFC1906],
        RFC 2572 [RFC2572] and RFC 2574 [RFC2574].

    o   Protocol operations for accessing management information. The
        first set of protocol operations and associated PDU formats is
        described in STD 15, RFC 1157 [RFC1157]. A second set of
        protocol operations and associated PDU formats is described in
        RFC 1905 [RFC1905].

    o   A set of fundamental applications described in RFC 2573
        [RFC2573] and the view-based access control mechanism described
        in RFC 2575 [RFC2575].

Expires 26 March 2001                                           [Page 2]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

   A more detailed introduction to the current SNMP Management Framework
   can be found in RFC 2570 [RFC2570].

   Managed objects are accessed via a virtual information store, termed
   the Management Information Base or MIB.  Objects in the MIB are
   defined using the mechanisms defined in the SMI.

   This memo specifies a MIB module that is compliant to the SMIv2. A
   MIB conforming to the SMIv1 can be produced through the appropriate
   translations. The resulting translated MIB must be semantically
   equivalent, except where objects or events are omitted because no
   translation is possible (use of Counter64). Some machine readable
   information in SMIv2 will be converted into textual descriptions in
   SMIv1 during the translation process. However, this loss of machine
   readable information is not considered to change the semantics of the
   MIB.

3.  Overview

Systems that support SNMP often need a mechanism for recording
Notification information as a hedge against lost Notifications, whether
those are Traps or Informs [RFC1905] that exceed retransmission limits.
This MIB therefore provides common infrastructure for other MIBs in the
form of a local logging function.  It is intended primarily for senders
of Notifications but could be used also by receivers.

Given the Notification Log MIB, individual MIBs bear less responsibility
to record the transient information associated with an event against the
possibility that the Notification message is lost, and applications can
poll the log to verify that they have not missed important
Notifications.

3.1.  Environment

The overall environmental concerns for the MIB are:

    o   SNMP Engines and Contexts

    o   Security

Expires 26 March 2001                                           [Page 3]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

3.1.1.  SNMP Engines and Contexts

There are two distinct information flows from multiple notification
originators that one may log. The first is the notifications that are
received (from one or more SNMP engines) for logging as SNMP informs and
traps. The other comprises notifications delivered to an SNMP engine at
the interface to the notification originator (using a notification
mechanism other than SNMP informs or traps).  The latter information
flow (using a notification mechanism other than SNMP informs or traps)
is modeled here as the SNMP engine (which maintains the log) sending a
notification to itself. The remainder of this section discusses the
handling of the former information flow - notifications (received in the
form of SNMP informs or traps) from multiple SNMP engines.

As described in the SNMP architecture [RFC2571], a given system may
support multiple SNMP engines operating independently of one another,
each with its own SNMP engine identification.  Furthermore, within the
purview of a given engine there may be multiple named management
contexts supporting overlapping or disjoint sets of MIB objects and
Notifications.  Thus, understanding a particular Notification requires
knowing the SNMP engine and management context from whence it came.

To provide the necessary source information for a logged Notification,
the MIB includes objects to record that Notification's source SNMP
engine ID and management context name.

3.1.2.  Security

Security for Notifications is awkward since access control for the
objects in the Notification can be checked only where the Notification
is created.  Thus such checking is possible only for locally-generated
Notifications, and even then only when security credentials are
available.

For the purpose of this discussion, "security credentials" means the
input values for the abstract service interface function isAccessAllowed
[RFC2571] and using those credentials means conceptually using that
function to see that those credentials allow access to the MIB objects
in question, operating as for a Notification Originator in [RFC2573].

The Notification Log MIB has the notion of a "named log."  By using log
names and view-based access control [RFC2575] a network administrator
can provide different access for different users.  When an application
creates a named log the security credentials of the creator stay

Expires 26 March 2001                                           [Page 4]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

associated with that log.

A managed system with fewer resources MAY disallow the creation of named
logs, providing only the default, null-named log.  Such a log has no
implicit security credentials for Notification object access control and
Notifications are put into it with no further checking.

When putting locally-generated Notifications into a named log, the
managed system MUST use the security credentials associated with that
log and MUST apply the same access control rules as described for a
Notification Originator in [RFC2573].

The managed system SHOULD NOT apply access control when adding remotely-
generated Notifications into either a named log or the default, null-
named log. In those cases the security of the information in the log
SHOULD be left to the normal, overall access control for the log itself.

The Notification Log MIB allows applications to set the maximum number
of Notifications that can be logged, using nlmConfigGlobalEntryLimit.
Similarly, an application can set the maximum age using
nlmConfigGlobalAgeOut, after which older Notifications MAY be timed out.
Please be aware that contention between multiple applications trying to
set these objects to different values MAY affect the reliability and
completeness of data seen by each application, i.e. it is possible that
one application may change the value of either of these objects,
resulting in some Notifications being deleted before the other
applications have had a chance to see them. This could be used to
orchestrate a denial-of-service attack.  Methods for countering such an
attack are for further study.

3.2.  Structure

The MIB has the following sections:

    o   Configuration -- control over how much the log can hold and what
        Notifications are to be logged.

    o   Statistics -- indications of logging activity.

    o   Log -- the Notifications themselves.

Expires 26 March 2001                                           [Page 5]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

3.2.1.  Configuration

The configuration section contains objects to manage resource use by the
MIB.

This section also contains a table to specify what logs exist and how
they operate.  Deciding which Notifications are to be logged depends on
filters defined in the the snmpNotifyFilterTable in the standard SNMP
Notification MIB [RFC2573] identified by the initial index
(snmpNotifyFilterName) from that table.

3.2.2.  Statistics

The statistics section contains counters for Notifications logged and
discarded, supplying a means to understand the results of log capacity
configuration and resource problems.

3.2.3.  Log

The log contains the Notifications and the objects that came in their
variable binding list, indexed by an integer that reflects when the
entry was made.  An application that wants to collect all logged
Notifications or to know if it may have missed any can keep track of the
highest index it has retrieved and start from there on its next poll,
checking sysUpTime for a discontinuity that would have reset the index
and perhaps have lost entries.

Variables are in a table indexed by Notification index and variable
index within that Notification.  The values are kept as a "discriminated
union," with one value object per variable.  Exactly which value object
is instantiated depends on the SNMP data type of the variable, with a
separate object of appropriate type for each distinct SNMP data type.

An application can thus reconstruct the information from the
Notification PDU from what is recorded in the log.

3.3.  Example

Following is an example configuration of a named log for logging only
linkUp and linkDown Notifications.

In nlmConfigLogTable:

Expires 26 March 2001                                           [Page 6]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

    nlmConfigLogFilterName.5."links"    = "link-status"
    nlmConfigLogEntryLimit.5."links"    = 0
    nlmConfigLogAdminStatus.5."links"   = enabled
    nlmConfigLogOperStatus.5."links"    = operational
    nlmConfigLogStorageType.5."links"   = nonVolatile
    nlmConfigLogEntryStatus.5."links"   = active

Note that snmpTraps is:

    iso.org.dod.internet.snmpV2.snmpModules.snmpMIB.snmpMIBObjects.5

Or numerically:

    1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5

And linkDown is snmpTraps.3 and linkUp is snmpTraps.4.

So to allow the two Notifications in snmpNotifyFilterTable:

    snmpNotifyFilterMask.11."link-status".1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5.3 = ''H
    snmpNotifyFilterType.11."link-status".1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5.3 = include
    snmpNotifyFilterStorageType.11."link-status".1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5.3
     = nonVolatile
    snmpNotifyFilterRowStatus.11."link-status".1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5.3
     = active

    snmpNotifyFilterMask.11."link-status".1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5.4 = ''H
    snmpNotifyFilterType.11."link-status".1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5.4 = include
    snmpNotifyFilterStorageType.11."link-status".1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5.4
     = nonVolatile
    snmpNotifyFilterRowStatus.11."link-status".1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5.4
     = active

Expires 26 March 2001                                           [Page 7]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

4.  Definitions

NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

IMPORTS
    MODULE-IDENTITY, OBJECT-TYPE,
    Integer32, Unsigned32,
    TimeTicks, Counter32, Counter64,
    IpAddress, Opaque, mib-2       FROM SNMPv2-SMI
    TimeStamp, DateAndTime,
    StorageType, RowStatus,
    TAddress, TDomain              FROM SNMPv2-TC
    SnmpAdminString, SnmpEngineID  FROM SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB
    MODULE-COMPLIANCE, OBJECT-GROUP     FROM SNMPv2-CONF;

notificationLogMIB MODULE-IDENTITY
    LAST-UPDATED "200009260000Z"            -- 26 September 2000
    ORGANIZATION "IETF Distributed Management Working Group"
    CONTACT-INFO "Ramanathan Kavasseri
                  Cisco Systems, Inc.
                  170 West Tasman Drive,
                  San Jose CA 95134-1706.
                  Phone: +1 408 527 2446
                  Email: [email-masked]"
    DESCRIPTION
     "The MIB module for logging SNMP Notifications, that is, Traps
     and Informs."
-- Revision History

       REVISION     "200009260000Z"            -- 26 September 2000
       DESCRIPTION  "This is the initial version of this MIB.
               Published as RFC xxxx"
    ::= { mib-2 xx } -- final assignment by IANA at publication time

notificationLogMIBObjects OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { notificationLogMIB 1 }

nlmConfig OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { notificationLogMIBObjects 1 }
nlmStats  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { notificationLogMIBObjects 2 }
nlmLog         OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { notificationLogMIBObjects 3 }

--
-- Configuration Section
--

Expires 26 March 2001                                           [Page 8]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

nlmConfigGlobalEntryLimit OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Unsigned32
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The maximum number of notification entries that may be held
     in nlmLogTable for all nlmLogNames added together.  A particular
     setting does not guarantee that much data can be held.

     If an application changes the limit while there are
     Notifications in the log, the oldest Notifications MUST be
     discarded to bring the log down to the new limit - thus the
     value of nlmConfigGlobalEntryLimit MUST take precedence over
     the values of nlmConfigGlobalAgeOut and nlmConfigLogEntryLimit,
     even if the Notification being discarded has been present for
     fewer minutes than the value of nlmConfigGlobalAgeOut, or if
     the named log has fewer entries than that specified in
     nlmConfigLogEntryLimit.

     A value of 0 means no limit.

     Please be aware that contention between multiple managers
     trying to set this object to different values MAY affect the
     reliability and completeness of data seen by each manager."
    DEFVAL { 0 }
    ::= { nlmConfig 1 }

nlmConfigGlobalAgeOut OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Unsigned32
    UNITS       "minutes"
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The number of minutes a Notification SHOULD be kept in a log before
     it is automatically removed.

     If an application changes the value of nlmConfigGlobalAgeOut,
     Notifications older than the new time MAY be discarded to meet the
     new time.

     A value of 0 means no age out.

     Please be aware that contention between multiple managers
     trying to set this object to different values MAY affect the
     reliability and completeness of data seen by each manager."

Expires 26 March 2001                                           [Page 9]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

    DEFVAL { 1440 }  -- 24 hours
    ::= { nlmConfig 2 }

--
-- Basic Log Configuration Table
--

nlmConfigLogTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF NlmConfigLogEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "A table of logging control entries."
    ::= { nlmConfig 3 }

nlmConfigLogEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      NlmConfigLogEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "A logging control entry.  Depending on the entry's storage type
     entries may be supplied by the system or created and deleted by
     applications using nlmConfigLogEntryStatus."
    INDEX      { nlmLogName }
    ::= { nlmConfigLogTable 1 }

NlmConfigLogEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    nlmLogName           SnmpAdminString,
    nlmConfigLogFilterName    SnmpAdminString,
    nlmConfigLogEntryLimit    Unsigned32,
    nlmConfigLogAdminStatus   INTEGER,
    nlmConfigLogOperStatus    INTEGER,
    nlmConfigLogStorageType   StorageType,
    nlmConfigLogEntryStatus   RowStatus
    }

nlmLogName OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX     SnmpAdminString (SIZE(0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS not-accessible
    STATUS     current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The name of the log.

     An implementation may allow multiple named logs, up to some

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 10]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

     implementation-specific limit (which may be none).  A
     zero-length log name is reserved for creation and deletion by
     the managed system, and MUST be used as the default log name by
     systems that do not support named logs."
    ::= { nlmConfigLogEntry 1 }

nlmConfigLogFilterName OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX     SnmpAdminString (SIZE(0..32))
    MAX-ACCESS read-create
    STATUS     current
    DESCRIPTION
     "A value of snmpNotifyFilterProfileName as used as an index
     into the snmpNotifyFilterTable in the SNMP Notification MIB,
     specifying the locally or remotely originated Notifications
     to be filtered out and not logged in this log.

     A zero-length value or a name that does not identify an
     existing entry in snmpNotifyFilterTable indicate no
     Notifications are to be logged in this log."
    DEFVAL { ''H }
    ::= { nlmConfigLogEntry 2 }

nlmConfigLogEntryLimit OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX     Unsigned32
    MAX-ACCESS read-create
    STATUS     current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The maximum number of notification entries that can be held in
     nlmLogTable for this named log.  A particular setting does not
     guarantee that that much data can be held.

     If an application changes the limit while there are
     Notifications in the log, the oldest Notifications are discarded
     to bring the log down to the new limit.

     A value of 0 indicates no limit.

     Please be aware that contention between multiple managers
     trying to set this object to different values MAY affect the
     reliability and completeness of data seen by each manager."
    DEFVAL { 0 }
    ::= { nlmConfigLogEntry 3 }

nlmConfigLogAdminStatus OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX     INTEGER { enabled(1), disabled(2) }

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 11]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

    MAX-ACCESS read-create
    STATUS     current
    DESCRIPTION
     "Control to enable or disable the log without otherwise
     disturbing the log's entry.

     Please be aware that contention between multiple managers
     trying to set this object to different values MAY affect the
     reliability and completeness of data seen by each manager."
    DEFVAL { enabled }
    ::= { nlmConfigLogEntry 4 }

nlmConfigLogOperStatus OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX     INTEGER { disabled(1), operational(2), noFilter(3) }
    MAX-ACCESS read-only
    STATUS     current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The operational status of this log:

          disabled  administratively disabled

          operational    administratively enabled and working

          noFilter  administratively enabled but either
                    nlmConfigLogFilterName is zero length
                    or does not name an existing entry in
                    snmpNotifyFilterTable"
    ::= { nlmConfigLogEntry 5 }

nlmConfigLogStorageType OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX     StorageType
    MAX-ACCESS read-create
    STATUS     current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The storage type of this conceptual row."
    ::= { nlmConfigLogEntry 6 }

nlmConfigLogEntryStatus OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX     RowStatus
    MAX-ACCESS read-create
    STATUS     current
    DESCRIPTION
     "Control for creating and deleting entries.  Entries may be
     modified while active.

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 12]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

     For non-null-named logs, the managed system records the security
     credentials from the request that sets nlmConfigLogStatus
     to 'active' and uses that identity to apply access control to
     the objects in the Notification to decide if that Notification
     may be logged."
    ::= { nlmConfigLogEntry 7 }

--
-- Statistics Section
--

nlmStatsGlobalNotificationsLogged OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Counter32
    UNITS       "notifications"
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The number of Notifications put into the nlmLogTable.  This
     counts a Notification once for each log entry, so a Notification
      put into multiple logs is counted multiple times."
    ::= { nlmStats 1 }

nlmStatsGlobalNotificationsBumped OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Counter32
    UNITS       "notifications"
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The number of log entries discarded to make room for a new entry
     due to lack of resources or the value of nlmConfigGlobalEntryLimit
     or nlmConfigLogEntryLimit.  This does not include entries discarded
     due to the value of nlmConfigGlobalAgeOut."
    ::= { nlmStats 2 }

--
-- Log Statistics Table
--

nlmStatsLogTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF NlmStatsLogEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "A table of Notification log statistics entries."
    ::= { nlmStats 3 }

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 13]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

nlmStatsLogEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      NlmStatsLogEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "A Notification log statistics entry."
    AUGMENTS { nlmConfigLogEntry }
    ::= { nlmStatsLogTable 1 }

NlmStatsLogEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    nlmStatsLogNotificationsLogged Counter32,
    nlmStatsLogNotificationsBumped Counter32
}

nlmStatsLogNotificationsLogged OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Counter32
    UNITS       "notifications"
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The number of Notifications put in this named log."
    ::= { nlmStatsLogEntry 1 }

nlmStatsLogNotificationsBumped OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Counter32
    UNITS       "notifications"
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The number of log entries discarded from this named log to make
     room for a new entry due to lack of resources or the value of
     nlmConfigGlobalEntryLimit or nlmConfigLogEntryLimit.  This does not
     include entries discarded due to the value of
     nlmConfigGlobalAgeOut."
    ::= { nlmStatsLogEntry 2 }

--
-- Log Section
--

--
-- Log Table
--

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 14]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

nlmLogTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF NlmLogEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "A table of Notification log entries.

     It is an implementation-specific matter whether entries in this
     table are preserved across initializations of the management
     system.  In general one would expect that they are not.

     Note that keeping entries across initializations of the
     management system leads to some confusion with counters and
     TimeStamps, since both of those are based on sysUpTime, which
     resets on management initialization.  In this situation,
     counters apply only after the reset and nlmLogTime for entries
     made before the reset MUST be set to 0."
    ::= { nlmLog 1 }

nlmLogEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      NlmLogEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "A Notification log entry.

     Entries appear in this table when Notifications occur and pass
     filtering by nlmConfigLogFilterName and access control.  They are
     removed to make way for new entries due to lack of resources or
     the values of nlmConfigGlobalEntryLimit, nlmConfigGlobalAgeOut, or
     nlmConfigLogEntryLimit.

     If adding an entry would exceed nlmConfigGlobalEntryLimit or system
     resources in general, the oldest entry in any log SHOULD be removed to
     make room for the new one.

     If adding an entry would exceed nlmConfigLogEntryLimit the oldest
     entry in that log SHOULD be removed to make room for the new one.

     Before the managed system puts a locally-generated Notification
     into a non-null-named log it assures that the creator of the log
     has access to the information in the Notification.  If not it
     does not log that Notification in that log."
    INDEX       { nlmLogName, nlmLogIndex }
    ::= { nlmLogTable 1 }

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 15]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

NlmLogEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    nlmLogIndex                Unsigned32,
    nlmLogTime                 TimeStamp,
    nlmLogDateAndTime          DateAndTime,
    nlmLogEngineID             SnmpEngineID,
    nlmLogEngineTAddress       TAddress,
    nlmLogEngineTDomain        TDomain,
    nlmLogContextEngineID      SnmpEngineID,
    nlmLogContextName          SnmpAdminString,
    nlmLogNotificationID       OBJECT IDENTIFIER
}

nlmLogIndex OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX     Unsigned32 (1..4294967295)
    MAX-ACCESS not-accessible
    STATUS     current
    DESCRIPTION
     "A monotonically increasing integer for the sole purpose of
     indexing entries within the named log.  When it reaches the
     maximum value, an extremely unlikely event, the agent wraps the
     value back to 1."
    ::= { nlmLogEntry 1 }

nlmLogTime OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      TimeStamp
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The value of sysUpTime when the entry was placed in the log. If
     the entry occurred before the most recent management system
     initialization this object value MUST be set to zero."
    ::= { nlmLogEntry 2 }

nlmLogDateAndTime OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      DateAndTime
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The local date and time when the entry was logged, instantiated
     only by systems that have date and time capability."
    ::= { nlmLogEntry 3 }

nlmLogEngineID OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpEngineID
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 16]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The identification of the SNMP engine at which the Notification
     originated.

     If the log can contain Notifications from only one engine
     or the Trap is in SNMPv1 format, this object is a zero-length
     string."
    ::= { nlmLogEntry 4 }

nlmLogEngineTAddress OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      TAddress
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The transport service address of the SNMP engine from which the
     Notification was received, formatted according to the corresponding
     value of nlmLogEngineTDomain. This is used to identify the source
     of an SNMPv1 trap, since an nlmLogEngineId cannot be extracted
     from the SNMPv1 trap pdu.

     This object MUST always be instantiated, even if the log
     can contain Notifications from only one engine.

     Please be aware that the nlmLogEngineTAddress may not uniquely
     identify the SNMP engine from which the Notification was received.
     For example, if an SNMP engine uses DHCP or NAT to obtain
     ip addresses, the address it uses may be shared with other
     network devices, and hence will not uniquely identify the
     SNMP engine."
    ::= { nlmLogEntry 5 }

nlmLogEngineTDomain OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      TDomain
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "Indicates the kind of transport service by which a Notification was
        received from an SNMP engine. nlmLogEngineTAddress contains the
        transport service address of the SNMP engine from which this Notification
        was received.

     Possible values for this object are presently found in the
     Transport Mappings for SNMPv2 document (RFC 1906 [8])."
    ::= { nlmLogEntry 6 }

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 17]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

nlmLogContextEngineID OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpEngineID
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "If the Notification was received in a protocol which has a
         contextEngineID element like SNMPv3, this object has that value.
         Otherwise its value is a zero-length string."
     ::= { nlmLogEntry 7 }

nlmLogContextName OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The name of the SNMP MIB context from which the Notification came.
     For SNMPv1 Traps this is the community string from the Trap."
    ::= { nlmLogEntry 8 }

nlmLogNotificationID OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      OBJECT IDENTIFIER
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The NOTIFICATION-TYPE object identifer of the Notification that
     occurred."
    ::= { nlmLogEntry 9 }

--
-- Log Variable Table
--

nlmLogVariableTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF NlmLogVariableEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "A table of variables to go with Notification log entries."
    ::= { nlmLog 2 }

nlmLogVariableEntry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      NlmLogVariableEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 18]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

     "A Notification log entry variable.

     Entries appear in this table when there are variables in
     the varbind list of a Notification in nlmLogTable."
    INDEX       { nlmLogName, nlmLogIndex, nlmLogVariableIndex }
    ::= { nlmLogVariableTable 1 }

NlmLogVariableEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    nlmLogVariableIndex            Unsigned32,
    nlmLogVariableID               OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
    nlmLogVariableValueType        INTEGER,
    nlmLogVariableCounter32Val          Counter32,
    nlmLogVariableUnsigned32Val         Unsigned32,
    nlmLogVariableTimeTicksVal          TimeTicks,
    nlmLogVariableInteger32Val          Integer32,
    nlmLogVariableOctetStringVal   OCTET STRING,
    nlmLogVariableIpAddressVal          IpAddress,
    nlmLogVariableOidVal      OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
    nlmLogVariableCounter64Val          Counter64,
    nlmLogVariableOpaqueVal        Opaque
}

nlmLogVariableIndex OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX     Unsigned32 (1..4294967295)
    MAX-ACCESS not-accessible
    STATUS     current
    DESCRIPTION
     "A monotonically increasing integer, starting at 1 for a given
     nlmLogIndex, for indexing variables within the logged
     Notification."
    ::= { nlmLogVariableEntry 1 }

nlmLogVariableID OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX     OBJECT IDENTIFIER
    MAX-ACCESS read-only
    STATUS     current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The variable's object identifier."
    ::= { nlmLogVariableEntry 2 }

nlmLogVariableValueType OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      INTEGER { counter32(1), unsigned32(2), timeTicks(3),
                 integer32(4), ipAddress(5), octetString(6),
                 objectId(7), counter64(8), opaque(9) }
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 19]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The type of the value.  One and only one of the value
     objects that follow must be instantiated, based on this type."
    ::= { nlmLogVariableEntry 3 }

nlmLogVariableCounter32Val OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Counter32
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The value when nlmLogVariableType is 'counter32'."
    ::= { nlmLogVariableEntry 4 }

nlmLogVariableUnsigned32Val OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Unsigned32
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The value when nlmLogVariableType is 'unsigned32'."
    ::= { nlmLogVariableEntry 5 }

nlmLogVariableTimeTicksVal OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      TimeTicks
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The value when nlmLogVariableType is 'timeTicks'."
    ::= { nlmLogVariableEntry 6 }

nlmLogVariableInteger32Val OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Integer32
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The value when nlmLogVariableType is 'integer32'."
    ::= { nlmLogVariableEntry 7 }

nlmLogVariableOctetStringVal OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      OCTET STRING
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The value when nlmLogVariableType is 'octetString'."
    ::= { nlmLogVariableEntry 8 }

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 20]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

nlmLogVariableIpAddressVal OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      IpAddress
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The value when nlmLogVariableType is 'ipAddress'."
    ::= { nlmLogVariableEntry 9 }

nlmLogVariableOidVal OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      OBJECT IDENTIFIER
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The value when nlmLogVariableType is 'objectId'."
    ::= { nlmLogVariableEntry 10 }

nlmLogVariableCounter64Val OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Counter64
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The value when nlmLogVariableType is 'counter64'."
    ::= { nlmLogVariableEntry 11 }

nlmLogVariableOpaqueVal OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Opaque
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
     "The value when nlmLogVariableType is 'opaque'."
    ::= { nlmLogVariableEntry 12 }

--
-- Conformance
--

notificationLogMIBConformance OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
    { notificationLogMIB 3 }
notificationLogMIBCompliances OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
    { notificationLogMIBConformance 1 }
notificationLogMIBGroups      OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
    { notificationLogMIBConformance 2 }

-- Compliance

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 21]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

notificationLogMIBCompliance MODULE-COMPLIANCE
     STATUS current
     DESCRIPTION
          "The compliance statement for entities which implement
          the Notification Log MIB."
     MODULE    -- this module
          MANDATORY-GROUPS {
               notificationLogConfigGroup,
               notificationLogStatsGroup,
               notificationLogLogGroup
          }

     OBJECT nlmConfigGlobalEntryLimit
         SYNTAX Unsigned32 (0..4294967295)
         MIN-ACCESS read-only
         DESCRIPTION
          "Implementations may choose a limit and not allow it to be
          changed or may enforce an upper or lower bound on the
          limit."

     OBJECT nlmConfigLogEntryLimit
         SYNTAX Unsigned32 (0..4294967295)
         MIN-ACCESS read-only
         DESCRIPTION
          "Implementations may choose a limit and not allow it to be
          changed or may enforce an upper or lower bound on the
          limit."

     OBJECT nlmConfigLogEntryStatus
         MIN-ACCESS read-only
         DESCRIPTION
          "Implementations may disallow the creation of named logs."

     GROUP notificationLogDateGroup
         DESCRIPTION
          "This group is mandatory on systems that keep wall clock
          date and time and should not be implemented on systems that
          do not have a wall clock date."

     ::= { notificationLogMIBCompliances 1 }

-- Units of Conformance

notificationLogConfigGroup OBJECT-GROUP
     OBJECTS {

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 22]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

          nlmConfigGlobalEntryLimit,
          nlmConfigGlobalAgeOut,
          nlmConfigLogFilterName,
          nlmConfigLogEntryLimit,
          nlmConfigLogAdminStatus,
          nlmConfigLogOperStatus,
          nlmConfigLogStorageType,
          nlmConfigLogEntryStatus
     }
     STATUS current
     DESCRIPTION
          "Notification log configuration management."
     ::= { notificationLogMIBGroups 1 }

notificationLogStatsGroup OBJECT-GROUP
     OBJECTS {
          nlmStatsGlobalNotificationsLogged,
          nlmStatsGlobalNotificationsBumped,
          nlmStatsLogNotificationsLogged,
          nlmStatsLogNotificationsBumped
     }
     STATUS current
     DESCRIPTION
          "Notification log statistics."
     ::= { notificationLogMIBGroups 2 }

notificationLogLogGroup OBJECT-GROUP
     OBJECTS {
          nlmLogTime,
          nlmLogEngineID,
          nlmLogEngineTAddress,
          nlmLogEngineTDomain,
          nlmLogContextEngineID,
          nlmLogContextName,
          nlmLogNotificationID,

          nlmLogVariableID,
          nlmLogVariableValueType,
          nlmLogVariableCounter32Val,
          nlmLogVariableUnsigned32Val,
          nlmLogVariableTimeTicksVal,
          nlmLogVariableInteger32Val,
          nlmLogVariableOctetStringVal,
          nlmLogVariableIpAddressVal,
          nlmLogVariableOidVal,

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 23]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

          nlmLogVariableCounter64Val,
          nlmLogVariableOpaqueVal
     }
     STATUS current
     DESCRIPTION
          "Notification log data."
     ::= { notificationLogMIBGroups 3 }

notificationLogDateGroup OBJECT-GROUP
     OBJECTS {
          nlmLogDateAndTime
     }
     STATUS current
     DESCRIPTION
          "Conditionally mandatory notification log data.
          This group is mandatory on systems that keep wall
          clock date and time and should not be implemented
          on systems that do not have a wall clock date."
     ::= { notificationLogMIBGroups 4 }

END

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 24]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

5.  Intellectual Property

The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed to pertain
to the implementation or use of the technology described in this
document or the extent to which any license under such rights might or
might not be available; neither does it represent that it has made any
effort to identify any such rights.  Information on the IETF's
procedures with respect to rights in standards-track and standards-
related documentation can be found in BCP-11.  Copies of claims of
rights made available for publication and any assurances of licenses to
be made available, or the result of an attempt made to obtain a general
license or permission for the use of such proprietary rights by
implementors or users of this specification can be obtained from the
IETF Secretariat.

The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary rights
which may cover technology that may be required to practice this
standard.  Please address the information to the IETF Executive
Director.

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 25]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

6.  References

[RFC2571]   Harrington, D., Presuhn, R., and B. Wijnen, "An Architecture
            for Describing SNMP Management Frameworks", RFC 2571, April
            1999

[RFC1155]   Rose, M., and K. McCloghrie, "Structure and Identification
            of Management Information for TCP/IP-based Internets", STD
            16, RFC 1155, May 1990

[RFC1212]   Rose, M., and K. McCloghrie, "Concise MIB Definitions", STD
            16, RFC 1212, March 1991

[RFC1215]   M. Rose, "A Convention for Defining Traps for use with the
            SNMP", RFC 1215, March 1991

[RFC2578]   McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J.,
            Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Structure of Management
            Information Version 2 (SMIv2)", STD 58, RFC 2578, April 1999

[RFC2579]   McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J.,
            Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Textual Conventions for
            SMIv2", STD 58, RFC 2579, April 1999

[RFC2580]   McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J.,
            Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Conformance Statements for
            SMIv2", STD 58, RFC 2580, April 1999

[RFC1157]   Case, J., Fedor, M., Schoffstall, M., and J. Davin, "Simple
            Network Management Protocol", STD 15, RFC 1157, May 1990.

[RFC1901]   Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser,
            "Introduction to Community-based SNMPv2", RFC 1901, January
            1996.

[RFC1906]   Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser,
            "Transport Mappings for Version 2 of the Simple Network
            Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1906, January 1996.

[RFC2572]   Case, J., Harrington D., Presuhn R., and B. Wijnen, "Message
            Processing and Dispatching for the Simple Network Management
            Protocol (SNMP)", RFC 2572, April 1999

[RFC2574]   Blumenthal, U., and B. Wijnen, "User-based Security Model
            (USM) for version 3 of the Simple Network Management

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 26]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

            Protocol (SNMPv3)", RFC 2574, April 1999

[RFC1905]   Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser,
            "Protocol Operations for Version 2 of the Simple Network
            Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1905, January 1996.

[RFC2573]   Levi, D., Meyer, P., and B. Stewart, "SNMPv3 Applications",
            RFC 2573, April 1999

[RFC2575]   Wijnen, B., Presuhn, R., and K. McCloghrie, "View-based
            Access Control Model (VACM) for the Simple Network
            Management Protocol (SNMP)", RFC 2575, April 1999

[RFC2570]   Case, J., Mundy, R., Partain, D., and B. Stewart,
            "Introduction to Version 3 of the Internet-standard Network
            Management Framework", RFC 2570, April 1999

[RFC1903]   Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M. and S. Waldbusser,
            "Coexistence between Version 1 and version 2 of the
            Internet-standard Network Management Framework", RFC 1903,
            January 1996.

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 27]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

7.  Security Considerations

Security issues are discussed in Section 3.1.2.

8.  Author's Address

     Bob Stewart
     Cisco Systems, Inc.
     170 West Tasman Drive
     San Jose, CA 95134-1706
     U.S.A.

     Ramanathan Kavasseri
     Cisco Systems, Inc.
     170 West Tasman Drive
     San Jose, CA 95134-1706
     U.S.A.

     Phone: +1 408 527 2446
     Email: [email-masked]

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 28]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

9.  Full Copyright Statement

Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2000). All Rights Reserved.

This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it or
assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published and
distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any kind,
provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are included
on all such copies and derivative works.  However, this document itself
may not be modified in any way, such as by removing the copyright notice
or references to the Internet Society or other Internet organizations,
except as needed for the  purpose of developing Internet standards in
which case the procedures for copyrights defined in the Internet
Standards process must be followed, or as required to translate it into
languages other than English.

The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assigns.

This document and the information contained herein is provided on an "AS
IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK
FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT
LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT
INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 29]


Internet Draft            Notification Log MIB         26 September 2000

Table of Contents

1 Abstract ........................................................    2
2 The SNMP Management Framework ...................................    2
3 Overview ........................................................    3
3.1 Environment ...................................................    3
3.1.1 SNMP Engines and Contexts ...................................    4
3.1.2 Security ....................................................    4
3.2 Structure .....................................................    5
3.2.1 Configuration ...............................................    6
3.2.2 Statistics ..................................................    6
3.2.3 Log .........................................................    6
3.3 Example .......................................................    6
4 Definitions .....................................................    8
5 Intellectual Property ...........................................   25
6 References ......................................................   26
7 Security Considerations .........................................   28
8 Author's Address ................................................   28
9 Full Copyright Statement ........................................   29

Expires 26 March 2001                                          [Page 30]

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 08:46:48 +0200

>>>>> ramk  writes:

ramk> As Juergen suggested, I've changed nlmLogEngineAddress and
ramk> nlmLogEngineAddressType to "nlmLogEngineTAddress" and
ramk> "nlmLogEngineTDomain" respectively. All occurrences of the above
ramk> names were corrected in the draft.

Looks good to me.

I found two minor editorial nits. First, the last reference

ramk> [RFC1903] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M. and S. Waldbusser,
ramk> "Coexistence between Version 1 and version 2 of the
ramk> Internet-standard Network Management Framework", RFC 1903,
ramk> January 1996.

is (a) broken and (b) not needed. So my suggestion is to remove it.
Second, the description of nlmLogEngineTDomain contains a line that is
longer than 76 character. You may want to fix this so that the RFC
editor has less work to do. ;-)

/js

---

From: Ram Kavasseri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 12:06:09 -0700

> editor has less work to do. ;-)

Done - I'll post the new draft in a few mins.

Ram