Subject: nlmLogEngineAddress is broken

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:52:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

As disman working group chair, I'm notifying the WG of a problem
and a proposed path forward.

Just when we thought it was almost finished, the IESG review of
draft-ietf-disman-notif-log-mib-16.txt has revealed a problem,
and the document has been tossed back to the working group for
repair.

History:

   The object nlmLogEngineAddress was added to the nlmLogTable
   in December 1999.  This object has a syntax of IpAddress.

The Problem:

   IESG review frowns on things which are unnecessarily
   IPv4-specific.  This object's description, as well as the
   original arguments presented for its addition, make it clear
   that this object has no requirement to be IPv4-specific.

The Proposed Solution:

   a) add RFC 2851 to the references.

   b) add IMPORTs for InetAddressType and InetAddress from
      the MIB in RFC 2851.

   c) add a new object to the nlmLogTable,
      nlmLogEngineAddressType, with syntax InetAddressType,
      and a DESCRIPTION describing its relationship to
      nlmLogEngineAddress as required by RFC 2851.

   d) change the syntax of the nlmLogEngineAddress object to
      InetAddress, updating the DESCRIPTION accordingly
      with an explanation of its relationship to
      nlmLogEngineAddressType as required by RFC 2851.

   e) add nlmLogEngineAddressType to the notificationLogLogGroup.

   f) any other typographical fixes the editor encounters or
      has on file.

The Process:

   1) If you have a problem with this, please speak up NOW.
      If no objections are posted to this list by September 20,
      we will procede to the next step.  If this deadline is too
      short and you plan to submit comments, please let me know
      so that the deadline can be extended to accomodate.

   2) During this time, the editor will prepare an updated
      document.  The concrete changes will be posted to
      the disman working group mailing list as early as
      is practical.

   3) In the absence of objects, the editor will
      submit the updated document to [email-masked]
      as soon as possible after September 20.

 -------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]
 Voice: +1 408 546-1006  BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 Fax:   +1 408 965-0359  2141 North First Street
 http://www.bmc.com/     San José, California 95131  USA
 -------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 -------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:14:01 +0200

>>>>> Randy Presuhn writes:

Randy> The Proposed Solution:

[...]

Randy>    c) add a new object to the nlmLogTable,
Randy> nlmLogEngineAddressType, with syntax InetAddressType, and a
Randy> DESCRIPTION describing its relationship to nlmLogEngineAddress
Randy> as required by RFC 2851.

Can you please explain the rationale for using IP network layer
address rather than transport layer address (aka TDomain/TAddress),
which would IMHO be more consistent with SNMP transport mappings in
general? What happens if I use SNMPv1 over IPX?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>