Subject: Re: nlmLogEngineAddress is broken

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:28:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

> Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:14:01 +0200
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
> In-reply-to: <[email-masked]> (message from Randy
> 	Presuhn on Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:52:57 -0700 (PDT))
> Subject: Re: nlmLogEngineAddress is broken
> References:  <[email-masked]>
...
> Can you please explain the rationale for using IP network layer
> address rather than transport layer address (aka TDomain/TAddress),

This was the solution suggested by the reviewer.

> which would IMHO be more consistent with SNMP transport mappings in
> general? What happens if I use SNMPv1 over IPX?
...

What's there now doesn't work for IPX.  If the IESG needs IPX
support as well, then we should ignore RFC 2851 and use something
else.  I'd question whether TAddress would be the right thing,
since it usually includes port information, which would be
misleading for many notification sources.

 -------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]
 Voice: +1 408 546-1006  BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 Fax:   +1 408 965-0359  2141 North First Street
 http://www.bmc.com/     San José, California 95131  USA
 -------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 -------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 20:06:09 +0200

>>>>> Randy Presuhn writes:

>> general? What happens if I use SNMPv1 over IPX?

Randy> What's there now doesn't work for IPX.

Yes - but is this an argument not to fix it?

Randy> If the IESG needs IPX support as well, then we should ignore
Randy> RFC 2851 and use something else.  I'd question whether TAddress
Randy> would be the right thing, since it usually includes port
Randy> information, which would be misleading for many notification
Randy> sources.

TAddress still includes the IP address. So its up to the application
to ignore the port if it likes to. If we stick to InetAddress, then we
dictate that all application reading the log have to ignore the port.
(Which fits well into the SNMP philosophy, doesn't it? ;-)

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>