Subject: Re: nlmLogEngineAddress is broken

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 15:50:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

As disman working group chair, based on Jurgen's comments,
I propose we resolve the nlmLogEngineAddress issue from the
log mib in this way:

   a) add IMPORTs for TDomain and TAddress from
      the SNMPv2-TC MIB (RFC 2579).

   b) add a new object to the nlmLogTable,
      nlmLogEngineAddressType, with syntax TDomain,
      and a DESCRIPTION describing its relationship to
      nlmLogEngineAddress as required by RFC 2579.

   c) change the syntax of the nlmLogEngineAddress object to
      TAddress, updating the DESCRIPTION accordingly
      with an explanation of its relationship to
      nlmLogEngineAddressType as required by RFC 2579.

   d) add nlmLogEngineAddressType to the notificationLogLogGroup.

   e) any other typographical fixes the editor encounters or
      has on file.

The Process:

   1) If you have a problem with this, please speak up NOW.
      If no objections are posted to this list by September 21,
      we will procede to the next step.  If this deadline is too
      short and you plan to submit comments, please let me know
      so that the deadline can be extended to accomodate.

   2) During this time, the editor will prepare an updated
      document.  The concrete changes will be posted to
      the disman working group mailing list as early as
      is practical.

   3) In the absence of objections, the editor will
      submit the updated document to [email-masked]
      as soon as possible after September 21.

 -------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]
 Voice: +1 408 546-1006  BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 Fax:   +1 408 965-0359  2141 North First Street
 http://www.bmc.com/     San José, California 95131  USA
 -------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 -------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ramanathan Kavasseri <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 22:48:35 -0700

Randy/Juergen,

thanks for the clarification - I'll post the updated draft in a few
mins.
I've changed the draft name to
draft-ietf-disman-notif-log-mib-17-edited.txt
to indicate that this is is NOT being forwarded to
[email-masked]
until the changes are approved by the wg.

If there's agreement about the changes, I'll rename the draft
draft-ietf-disman-notif-log-mib-18.txt and submit that to
[email-masked].

Thanks,

Ram

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:47:44 +0200

>>>>> Randy Presuhn writes:

Randy> As disman working group chair, based on Jurgen's comments, I
Randy> propose we resolve the nlmLogEngineAddress issue from the log
Randy> mib in this way:

[...]

Sounds good, although I would have called these objects
nlmLogEngineTDomain and nlmLogEngineTAddress instead of
nlmLogEngineAddressType and nlmLogEngineAddress.

Basically because (a) this naming scheme is more consistent with the
SNMP-TARGET-MIB and the ENTITY-MIB and (b) because the IANA TAddress
document introduces a TAddressType which is an enumeration rather than
an OID and using nlmLogEngineAddressType may be a bit confusing down
the road.

But this is just a suggestion - not an objection.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>

---

From: Ram Kavasseri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:58:59 -0700

> But this is just a suggestion - not an objection.

I like Juergen's suggestion...Any objections to this?

Ram