Subject: RE: M3100 additions to SNMP MIB

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 07:08:34 -0500

hi

Tammy> After reading more of the prep-material it became unclear to me
Tammy> whether the group is trying to support all parameters for alarm
Tammy> event notifications defined in the ITU documents or only the
Tammy> mandatory ones.  Can you please clarify.

Primarily the mandatory ones.  If there are other parameters 
which would also be useful we can also add those as well.  

Sharon

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 13:36:39 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
> To: Tammy Ferris <[email-masked]>,
>         "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: M3100 additions to SNMP MIB
> Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 07:08:34 -0500
...
> which would also be useful we can also add those as well.  
...

IETF folklore has it that we should stick to the absolute
minimal set needed to do the job.  This doesn't always happen,
but it's a worthy goal.  "Optional" anything is viewed with
considerable distrust - if something is optional, by definition
it isn't really essential.

Now, it may be that for some bits of information the only
requirement is to shovel them back and forth to theoretically
support interworking of different systems.  Or there may be
more substantive requirements with a basis in operational
experience.

A mapping to/from the various ITU documents is NOT our primary
objective.  However, there's a lot of valuable experience
behind them, and if we can solve our requirements (different
discussion) with relatively straightforward mappings, this
would be a good thing that would benefit everyone.

 -------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]
 Voice: +1 408 546-1006  BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 Fax:   +1 408 965-0359  2141 North First Street
 http://www.bmc.com/     San José, California 95131  USA
 -------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 -------------------------------------------------------