Subject: ARC MIB Improvement

From: "Lam, Hing-Kam (Kam)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:03:04 -0500

All,

At the end of the ARC MIB presentation on Monday (3/19), I briefly mentioned
about the possible improvement of the MIB but didn't have time to go into
details. Here are the details of improving the 00 version (
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lam-disman-arcmib-00.txt ).

(1) As Dave suggested before, the ARC table will only have rows with ARC
state values other than ALM. That is, once a resource transitions from a ARC
mode state (i.e., NALM, NALM-QI[-CD], or NALM-TI) to the ALM state, the
entry will be deleted automatically from the ARC table.

(2) Remove the arcNalmTITimeInterval and the arcNalmCDTimeInterval objects
to outside of the ARC table. Outside of the table allows these two interval
to be used as default values for all applicable resoruces. In this way, the
ARC table will be reduced from 6 columns to 4 columns only. The 4 columns
are arcIndex (identifying the resource), arcAlarmType (i.e., the condition
to be controlled, e.g., LOS), arcState (NALM, NALM-TI, or NALM-QI), and
arcNalmTimeRemainding. 
At the creation of an ARC entry for a resource, the initial value for
arcNalmTimeRemainding will be the value of arcNalmTITimeInterval (if the ARC
state is NALM-TI) or arcNalmCDTimeInterval (if the ARC state is NALM-QI) or
zero (if the ARC state is NALM). 
On the other, at the creation of an ARC entry, the manager may specify a
value for arcNalmTimeRemainding to override the default value, if needed.
This change will make the table smaller and also avoid holes in the table if
TI and QI are not supported for a resource.

(3) Change the arcNalmTimeRemainding object from read-only to read-write.
This will allow the manager to increase or decrease the value when the
resource is in the NALM-TI or the NALM-QI-CD (if supported) state. This is
particularly useful in the case of performing maintenance on the resource
when the technician needs to increase or decrease the allowed time.

I believe that (1) will make the ARC MIB scale better. (2) will simplify the
MIB. Both (2) and (3) meet the ARC requirements better. 
Any comments?

Regards,
Kam

---

From: Tammy Ferris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 21:09:01 -0600

Kam,
I would like some way to specify "all" alarm types which is the default and
expected to be the most typical setting for ARC  and also better matches the ITU

model.
Tammy