Subject: RE: ARC + COND

From: "Thomas, Steven C (Steve)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:42:20 -0500

Lauren wrote:
Regarding the capability for temporarily disabling
alarm notifications (perhaps during periods of installation
and/or fault correction), I think typical users will want to
at least have a VERY SIMPLE way of turning off alarms (i.e.
a single TruthValue) that MUST be in the alarm MIB if
they opt not to support the ARC and COND MIBs.

My comments:
I agree.  I see a need for a very simple mechanism for turning off  or
screening alarm reports.  The needs that I have seen have largely been
driven by the manager side, and so doesn't know/care about the sub-agent
setup.  Their solution has been to have a single value (representing
severity level) that indicates which alarms to report on and which to not
report on.  The implementations have kept the alarms in the active alarm
list and alarm logs, but haven't reported them.  When the manager requests
the agent to scale back alarm reporting, then they have started/increased
polling on the alarm table.

I would like to have a very simple mechanism that I can recommend and push
with our agent and management development efforts.

Cheers,
Steve