Subject: Re: Human-readable Time Specifications for the Schedule MIB

From: Frank Strauss <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Apr 2001 15:08:53 +0200

Hi!

KC> Frank,
KC> Sorry I was not able to get to this document sooner.

KC> A couple of things:
KC> In your example, how does this work? 

KC>      "mar/3 r1 h23 m59"       each quarter's last day at 23:59

KC> I was trying to figure out how this text broke out and what some
KC> of the terms meant like ritem meant.  Most of the grammar was easy
KC> to figure out but maybe a little more documentation would help
KC> out.

You are certainly right, that the document would need more explicit
documentation of some grammar tokens if it is intended to be published
officially.

However, I believe tokens like `ritem's are inuitively quite obvious
to those people that are familiar with the Schedule MIB: ritems are
those enumaration values that are prefixed with an `r', that is the
days counted from the end of month backwards (schedDay). Similarly,
items prefixed with an `h' are hours (schedHour) and those prefixed
with an `m' are minutes (schedMinute). Months are always given by a
three-letter name. The month suffix `/3' means every third month
(hence every quarter of the year).

Please let me know, whether you think

(a) the document needs to be more precise to represent a completely
    formally unambiguous specification, and/or
(b) the document in the current form is ambiguous even if the reader
    is familiar with the Schedule MIB.

KC> Is this draft available online?

No. I intended to solicit any feedback first, so see whether there is
interest in such a proposal.

 -frank

---

From: "Norseth, KC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 09:24:38 -0400

Frank,

Thanks for the info.  It makes sense now.  The r1 and the /3 were the
difficult ones to follow.  I am trying to come up to speed on the schedule
mib work being done now and found this useful to help understand some of the
implementation issues.  This would be easy enough to follow with these
clarifications.

K.C.

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Strauss [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 7:09 AM
To: Norseth, KC
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Human-readable Time Specifications for the Schedule MIB

Hi!

KC> Frank,

KC> A couple of things:

 -frank