Subject: Re: Report on Script MIB action item

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:16:54 +0200

>>>>> Eamonn McManus writes:

Eamonn> I still feel that this change is more violent than the other
Eamonn> ones you mention, though, for the following reasons:

[...]

Eamonn> These problems can be fixed, but it seems to me that the right
Eamonn> fix is more complicated than just tweaking the wording about
Eamonn> the uniqueness of smRunIndex.

Thanks Eamonn. You made me re-think the whole issue and I changed my
mind. I now agree that changing the uniqueness of smRunIndex is really
kind of contrary to the original design of the MIB. I have played with
an another idea which is to add an additional column smRunID which
contains a globally unique id which is assigned when a script is
launched by the MIB implementation. I am not sure how such an object
would address Andy Bierman's requirements.

Given the fact that we did not yet have very detailed discussions
about the SEE MIB (and this is not yet part of the WG charter either),
I suggest that we do not take an action at this point in time and
instead publish the Script MIB revision as is and wait until we better
understand the requirements. This implies that we have to cycle again
at Proposed in a few months if it turns out that something like an
smRunID is really needed.

Comments on this plan of action?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>