Subject: FW: Probable Cause

From: "Andrea Westerinen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 23:07:52 -0800

Randy and the DISMAN team,
At the previous IETF, Randy asked me to assemble a list of CIM's
ProbableCauses in the Event Model.  Here is a table of ProbableCause values
and the mappings between ITU, ITU-IANA and CIM.  It is posted as a PDF since
it came out of an Excel spreadsheet.

If you have any questions, please ask.  This is still a WIP in the DMTF, so
feel free to send feedback.
Andrea

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:42:23 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

> From: "Andrea Westerinen" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>,
>         "Julie Schott" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: FW: Probable Cause
> Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 23:07:52 -0800
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
...
> feel free to send feedback.
...

Thanks for the information.  These mappings will be useful
in ensuring that the IETF alarm work does not introduce
gratuitous incompatibilities.  Since you're not on the disman
WG mailing list, I'm urging our working group members to CC
you if they have comments on ProbableCause or these mappings.

 ------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn          BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 [email-masked]  2141 North First Street
 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San José, California 95131  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 ------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:16:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

Looking at the ProbableCause list Andrea posted, it looks like
there are several distinct kinds of differences of concern to
our group:

    1) different labels or numbers.  Annoying, but
       probably harmless.

    2) CIM codes more specific than ITU codes.  Example:
       externalIFDeviceProblem -> either Input Device Error
       or Output Device Error

    3) ITU codes more specific than CIM codes.  Example:
       HVAC Problem -> coolingSystemFailure or
       ventilationSystemFailure or airCompressorFailure
       or airConditioningFailure or airDryerFailure or
       heatingVentCoolingSystemProblem

    4) "fuzzy" mappings, as in the ITU modulationFailure
       and demodulationFailure both mapping to a choice
       in CIM between Dataset/Modem Error and Equipment
       Malfunction.

    5) CIM codes with no ITU counterpart, e.g. Software
       Virus Detected.

By the way, what's the difference between our iODeviceError
and our inputOutputDeviceError codes?