Subject: Ping MIB Issue?

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:40:52 -0500

hi

I did a quick search of the archives, and I did not see this
discussed.

I've just received a question on the ping MIB that makes
me think there is either a typo in the MIB or an 
explanation is missing. testCompletion is (2) in
pingCtlTrapGeneration, but the text of pingTestCompleted 
describes a value of (4):

  pingCtlTrapGeneration OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      BITS {
                   probeFailure(0),
                   testFailure(1),
                   testCompletion(2)
                  }
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The value of this object determines when and if
        to generate a notification for this entry:

        probeFailure(0)   - Generate a pingProbeFailed
            notification subject to the value of
            pingCtlTrapProbeFailureFilter.  The object
            pingCtlTrapProbeFailureFilter can be used
            to specify the number of successive probe failures
            that are required before a pingProbeFailed
            notification can be generated.
        testFailure(1)    - Generate a pingTestFailed
            notification. In this instance the object
            pingCtlTrapTestFailureFilter can be used to
            determine the number of probe failures that
            signal when a test fails.
        testCompletion(2) - Generate a pingTestCompleted
            notification.

        The value of this object defaults to zero, indicating
        that none of the above options have been selected."
    ::= { pingCtlEntry 13 }

  ...

  pingTestCompleted NOTIFICATION-TYPE
      OBJECTS {
        pingCtlTargetAddressType,
        pingCtlTargetAddress,
        pingResultsOperStatus,
        pingResultsIpTargetAddressType,
        pingResultsIpTargetAddress,
        pingResultsMinRtt,
        pingResultsMaxRtt,
        pingResultsAverageRtt,
        pingResultsProbeResponses,
        pingResultsSentProbes,
        pingResultsRttSumOfSquares,
        pingResultsLastGoodProbe
      }
      STATUS  current
      DESCRIPTION
          "Generated at the completion of a ping test when the
          corresponding pingCtlTrapGeneration object is set to
          testCompletion(4)."
      ::= { pingNotifications 3 }

Sharon

---

From: Steve Moulton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:38:36 -0500

Sharon,

I spoke to the programmer who is responsible for our 
implementation, and his comment was "looks like a typo to me".
This should probably be attended to as part of the edits when
we look at promoting this document. 

To the working group in general:

Are we close to considering the

Definitions of Managed Objects for Remote Ping, Traceroute, and
                           Lookup Operations

document for draft status?  We're shipping lookup and pieces of
ping as product, and are implementing traceroute.

	- Steve

On Tuesday, March 26 2002, "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]> wrot

>       ::= { pingNotifications 3 }

---
Steve Moulton        SNMP Research, Inc            voice: +1 865 573 1434
Sr Software Engineer 3001 Kimberlin Heights Rd.    fax: +1 865 573 9197
[email-masked]     Knoxville, TN 37920-9716 USA  http://www.snmp.com