Subject: [Disman] mteOwner in Event MIB Notifications

From: "Carl W. Kalbfleisch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 00:16:36 -0500

I am working with an implementation of the DISMAN Event MIB.

I get a mteTriggerRising notification with the following attributes:

SysUpTime = 0 hours, 37 minutes, 0 seconds.
Trap OID = .1.3.6.1.2.1.88.2.0.2
.1.3.6.1.2.1.88.2.1.1 = processorLoad
.1.3.6.1.2.1.88.2.1.4 = .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.3.1.2.1
.1.3.6.1.2.1.88.2.1.5 = 32

However, there is no instance information provided by the agent  
because the attributes in the VarBind list are scalars rather than  
the tabular data they actually represent.

The question is, how can the manager know the mteOwner for the  
corresponding notifications. It seems like mteTriggerName (which is  
encoded as the mteHotTrigger in the notificatin) only has to be  
locally unique within a specific value of mteOwner. Therefore it is  
possible that I could have foo.x and bar.x as indexes into the  
mteTriggerTable, but when either goes off, the corresponding  
mteHotTrigger would be x with no indication of foo and bar.

So how does the management application know which one it was? Is  
there a reason why the MIB is defined this way to exclude the  
instance information and the mteOwner.

Could I define an entry in the mteObjectsTable t "add" mteOwner as a  
VarBind to the notification? Or is there also some reason I should  
not take this approach.

Any input and assistance in this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:20:07 -0700

Hi -

> From: "Carl W. Kalbfleisch" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 10:16 PM
> Subject: [Disman] mteOwner in Event MIB Notifications
>
...

Yes, that's probably the simplest solution.

To me this suggests that the definitions of the NOTIFICATION-TYPEs
mteTriggerFired, mteTriggerRising, mteTriggerFailure, and
mteEventSetFailure are all arguably broken, in that all of them
have this same problem.  Fixing this would require deprecating
the existing notifications and adding new ones that had the right varbinds.
Not terribly appealing, and it would send us around again at "proposed",
but it seems that what's there is broken.  Please convince me otherwise.  :-)

Randy

---

From: "Carl W. Kalbfleisch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 01:04:31 -0500

I have to agree that it is broken. I have also since learned that I  
can't put mteOwner in the VarBind list because it is a non-accessible  
index. However, I think I might be able to put some other attribute  
directly from the table to convey the entire instance information. I  
am going to try that tomorrow.

Carl