Subject: [Disman] Re: MIB Doctor review: publish draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-v2-0 6.tx t

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:09:17 +0100

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:28:11AM +0100, Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:

> So did you check rev 7 to make sure you are happy.
> I am assuming so, but would appreciate an ack.
> 
> In your MIB doctor review, did you also do a smidiff 
> with the RFC versions, and are we OK on those?

Bert,

I did an smidiff and I actually wrote a compliance statement output
driver for smidump to be able to check the differences between
compliance statements.

I just took a quick look at the latest version (which is -08 I think)
and I found a few more nits that you might want to get fixed if still
possible and JQ can turn things around things quickly:

1) In the pingMIB MODULE-IDENTITY, it says twice:

                - changed DEFVAL of object pingCtlDescr from
                  DEFVAL { '00'H } to DEFVAL { ''H }

   I think saying this once should be good enough.

2) pingCompliancy -> pingCompliance

3) pingFullCompliancy -> pingFullCompliance

4) traceRoutecompliancy -> traceRouteCompliance

5) traceRouteFullCompliancy -> traceRouteFullCompliance

6) I would have liked to see text in the deprecated compliance that
   says why these were deprecated and what implementors should do
   about it (since comparing compliance statements is really a tedious
   task). I know this is mentioned in section 3.4 but you know that
   extracted MIB modules often have a life of their own.

    pingCompliance MODULE-COMPLIANCE
       STATUS  deprecated
       DESCRIPTION
               "The compliance statement for the DISMAN-PING-MIB. This
		compliance statement has been deprecated because the 
		group pingGroup and the pingTimeStampGroup have been
		split and deprecated. The pingFullCompliance statement
		is semantically identical to the deprecated pingCompliance 
		statement".

    traceRouteCompliance MODULE-COMPLIANCE
       STATUS  deprecated
       DESCRIPTION
               "The compliance statement for the DISMAN-TRACEROUTE-MIB.
		This compliance statement has been deprecated because
		the traceRouteGroup and the traceRouteTimeStampGroup
		have been split and deprecated. The traceRouteFullCompliance
		is semantically identical to the deprecated 
		traceRouteCompliance statement."

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 01:59:23 +0100

Hi Juergen,

Thanks for the review.
I posted a new version incorporating the changes described inline below.

>    I think saying this once should be good enough.

Agreed and fixed.

> 2) pingCompliancy -> pingCompliance

Fixed.

> 3) pingFullCompliancy -> pingFullCompliance

Fixed.

> 4) traceRoutecompliancy -> traceRouteCompliance

Fixed.

> 5) traceRouteFullCompliancy -> traceRouteFullCompliance

Fixed.

> 		is semantically identical to the deprecated pingCompliance

Done.

> 		traceRouteCompliance statement."

Done.

Thank you for the constructive comments.

    Juergen Q.
-- 
Juergen Quittek        [email-masked]       Tel: +49 6221 90511-15
NEC Europe Ltd.,       Network Laboratories        Fax: +49 6221 90511-55
Kurfuersten-Anlage 36, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany   http://www.netlab.nec.de

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:50:32 +0100

> I posted a new version incorporating the changes described inline below.

Thanks. I think we are now done with this document and it is back in
Bert's hands.

/js