Subject: Re: [dmarc-ietf] Ticket #80 - DMARCbis Should Have Clear and Concise Definition of DMARC

From: Alessandro Vesely <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2021 13:25:37 +0100

On Thu 31/Dec/2020 20:24:59 +0100 John Levine wrote:
> In article <CAHej_8kkuQR3_LiV_O5Z-EPvVeZrdTPvCiK7rOmWKxQKsp=[email-masked]> you write:
>>
>>Dave Crocker submitted some suggestions on-list, and I noodled a bit with
>>the text myself, and submit the following for your collective consideration:
> 
> I have a few minor editorial tweaks to suggest but they can wait.  I think
> we should use this text.

+1, I see it's not yet on github.  Please go ahead, possibly posting a .txt as 
well, so we can run IETF's diff tool.

Among the minor tweaks I have:

1.  In the Abstract, the term email (or mail) appears late.  I'd suggest either 
"an email author's domain name" or "validation of the domain's email use".

2.  Shall we really stick to "RFC5322.From domain"?  Rfc5322bis will presumably 
get published at about the same time as this I-D, so that terminology is doomed 
to sound as antique as message/rcf822.  Possible alternatives:

2.1. Author's domain.
2.2. domain part of the From: header field address.
2.3. Main identifier (DMARC's main identifier, when used outside the I-D).

3.  In the 1st paragraph, "reports about use of the domain name", /email/ use.

Best
Ale
--

---

From: Todd Herr <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2021 08:36:15 -0500

> well, so we can run IETF's diff tool.
Updated version, including .txt but without your suggested minor tweaks, is
posted here - https://github.com/ietf-wg-dmarc/draft-ietf-dmarc-dmarcbis

Note that lack of inclusion of your minor tweaks obviously does not mean
that they've been rejected; I just wanted to complete the process of
checking in a new branch, doing a pull request, and merging the new branch
with main.

-- 

*Todd Herr* | Sr. Technical Program Manager
*e:* [email-masked]
*p:* 703.220.4153

This email and all data transmitted with it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information intended solely for the use of individual(s)
authorized to receive it. If you are not an intended and authorized
recipient you are hereby notified of any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of the information included in this transmission is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this email and then delete it from your system.

---

From: Todd Herr <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 16:35:39 -0500

I am going to close this ticket.

I have opened ticket 96, Tweaks to Abstract and Introduction
<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/dmarc/ticket/96>, for Ale's suggestions and for
any tweaks that John might still suggest.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 8:36 AM Todd Herr <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Updated version, including .txt but without your suggested minor tweaks,
> is posted here -
> https://github.com/ietf-wg-dmarc/draft-ietf-dmarc-dmarcbis
>

--