Subject: Re: [dmarc-ietf] Consensus Sought - Ticket #53 (Remove reporting message size chunking) - With Interim Notes

From: Steven M Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 16:20:55 -0700

On 5/31/21 15:49, Steven M Jones wrote:
> I think we can get the input needed to resolve this by Todd's requested
> deadline, and be able to show we did the due diligence to back up the
> decision.

I got three responses - unfortunately I discovered I don't have as many
of these contacts as I used to. So it's still anecdotal, but it includes
two of the (I don't know) dozen top mailbox providers in the world - for
whatever positive or negative weighting that may carry with you.

I'm about to add the following comment to the TRAC ticket:

I offered to try and get information on the frequency of use of this
feature from mailbox providers/report generators. I received three
responses, which I will rephrase to protect the sources. They can speak
up if they wish to go on the record.

1. Global mailbox provider A: Our code doesn't handle the syntax, and
will try to send to the address including the size specification. So if
you use that in your domain's RUA tag, our reports to you are probably
bouncing. There's a bug filed to fix it, but no commitment to do so.

2. Global mailbox provider B: We had the same bug, but fixed it - so
reports will be sent to the correct address. But regarding the limit, we
checked to see if anybody who specified a limit was receiving reports
large enough to trigger it, and nobody was. Large operators who might
actually trigger it, didn't specify a size. So we never implemented it.

3. National mailbox provider: I wrote code to implement it, but to my
knowledge it has never been triggered. Maybe our operation isn't big
enough. But implementing it was painful - guessing what the compressed
size would be, how to trim or truncate the report to fit the limit, who
to notify in the event of truncation and how... I would prefer removal,
but failing that please simplify it. [I can share the suggestions if we
go that way. --S.]

--Steve.

---

From: Alessandro Vesely <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 10:32:19 +0200

Thank you Steve, this confirms size limits are a useless encumbrance on reporting.

Best
Ale

On Tue 08/Jun/2021 01:20:55 +0200 Steven M Jones wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> dmarc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmarc
>

---

From: Todd Herr <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 09:40:11 -0400

I have closed the subject ticket and incorporated relevant text
changes in draft-ietf-dmarc-dmarcbis-02,
which will be published on Datatracker as soon as the chairs have a chance
to do so.

-- 

*Todd Herr* | Technical Director, Standards and Ecosystem
*e:* [email-masked]
*m:* 703.220.4153

This email and all data transmitted with it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information intended solely for the use of individual(s)
authorized to receive it. If you are not an intended and authorized
recipient you are hereby notified of any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of the information included in this transmission is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this email and then delete it from your system.