Subject: [DNA] Considerations for DNA Schemes with multiple Interface and Layer 2 Technologies

From: Yong-Geun Hong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:02:09 +0900

Dear DNA Group..

We submitted the following draft to the IETF Secretariat.
It should appear in the internet-drafts in the internet-drafts directory
soon. 

"Considerations for DNA Schemes with Multiple Interfaces
 and Layer 2 Technologies"
http://pec.etri.re.kr/~yghong/draft-hong-dna-if-l2-00.txt

Currently, we are developing multiple interfaces node. 
(one is 802.11g, the other is CDMA2000 1x)
While we are developing, current DNA schemes are enough for a single
interface 
and  WLAN.
When we consider multiple interfaces and other link-layer technology, we
think that
current DNA schemes may be insufficient. In this document, we consider and
analyze
various environments for applying DNA schemes.

Please let us know your comments/thoughts.

Thanks..

Yong-Geun..

---

From: Greg Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:33:38 +1000

Hi Youn-Geun,

I have some questions.

> Please let us know your comments/thoughts.

in section 3.3 (page 4) there's a statement:

      If each link-layer technology of each interface is the same and
      each interface is in the same link, this scenario may not be very
      much different with case 3.1. Because each interface is in the same
      link, link information on each interface may be the same. In this
      scenario, multiple interfaces do not have any effect on detecting
      any link changes.

What do you mean by technology here? MAC/PHY combination
or something else?

It may be that two wireless devices have the same MAC capabilities
and same PHY encoding, but have different sensitivities,
policy, antennae (antennas), and physical locations.

In this case, a condition affecting the IP layer connectivity of
one may not affect another.  It may actually be why you'd want to
have both interfaces.

Do you have any papers or tech-reports which illustrate the
situation as you described?

There are a lot of statements about connection of another L2
medium, but limited correlation of these processes to DNA.
I think that if there's work needed for CDMA systems, it may be
necessary to be specific as to the actual issues.

Is it possible to work out a succinct problem statement for these
issues?

Greg